Best BCDs in XXL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaeger62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I had been thinking I wanted to buy a reg as my first piece of equipment, but have changed gears to a BCD. The impetus of this is that I'm a bigger guy, and it looks like most all BCDs I'm finding top out at XL with a weight rating of 260lbs. I'm 6'2" 280 and figure it may be hard to find a BCD to rent on a trip that fits me well.

Any suggestions? It looks like Oceanic makes some in XXL and the Sherwood Zodiac looks real tempting.

Oceanic Flex 2 Jacket Style Scuba Diving BCD - Islanddivers.com

Sherwood Zodiac+ Rugged Water Resistant Weight Integrated BC/BCD - Islanddivers.com

Would you consider a BP + Wing ?
You should have definitely no sizing problem at all. Some brands provide longer backplates, but it is my opinion (being 195 cm tall) that the extra length is absolutely not necessary - the normal size fits perfectly well.
Moreover you would appreciate the freedom sensation being no longer constricted laterally - and, in addition, if you add weight pockets, you can reduce those on the belt.
I strongly suggest you to do a try in a pool.

i dive an XXL Zeagle Ranger, a back-inflate model with a good reputation. I'm 6'2" and 285# - have been over 300# in the past and still used it as both side panels can be expanded up to 2 inches in one inch increments.

Also has what's called PFS -
The Ranger comes equipped with Zeagle's PFS Modular Sizing (Personal Fit System) allowing you to custom build the BCD for individual needs.
Their stock sizes go up to 4XL IIRC mine is actually a XXL with 2X shoulders - I'm just big. Depending on your dealer inventory, there may not be an extra charge to make the change. I think Scubatoys.com will also make free substations - possibly Zeagle Express also.

It includes their Ripcord weight system standard - one pull and both front pockets dump. Rethreadable so all you lose is the weight if you ever have to. They also sell yellow weight bags so you can mix weight types - although nothing but the smallest 1lb. bullet weights can slip thru the Ripcord - I use 2-3-4 lb. block weights alone regularly. There's also two individually dumpable rear trim pockets around the tank. A 60/40 weight split allows for both horizontal diving and being mostly vertical on the surface. Do know that a back-inflate does normally float you a little lower in the water than the Jacket models you listed.

The price is a shock though for most people - starting around $775. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-zglrn/zeagle-ranger-bcd-with-ripcord-weight-system

One thing I don't like about it - other than the weight/size while traveling - it's that the pockets are right on top of the front weight pockets. The zippers open from opposite sides but it's not something you always remember. It's handy when handing up your weights on a boat though - the yellow weight bags have big handles so a crew member can grab them. The larger size even has an internal velcro separator so they don't move around.

Standing, with a tank on, the storage pockets are harder to open - sitting on a bench or in the water they're fine though.

Otherwise it's been pretty low maintenance - except for my first free service check a year later, it's never seen the shop again. A cool feature is the BX Inflator - the whole unit unscrews from the hose exposing a standard male garden hose end - screw your hose on, unscrew the bottom dumps and turn on the water to flush the bladder. There's also 3 dumps, the inflator itself has a cable that operates an integrated left top dump plus two lower pull dumps. So pulling on the inflator itself (not the hose) dumps air also.

For $100-200 more there's also the LTD model - what I actually own. It includes a 4th right shoulder dump. Also they've got a set of pockets or other accessories like pony botttle mounts etc. that mate to a set of zippers sewn on the inside of the wing. I carry a spare mask in one and misc. stuff in the other - when you clip the wing fasteners down, they're streamlined inside the wing. It will also take a set of doubles using either a mounting kit or a metal backplate but I think it would be too floppy - I sometimes use big single tanks and they're noticeably different in the way they "move" me around when the weight shifts.

Overall I'm happy with it but I'm forever saying I'm looking for a travel BC now also since there's no way you will ever be able to carry it on - just too big/bulky in our size. My regular buddy also bought a standard Ranger a few years later and is happy with it. Zeagle also has a whole line of other BC's - I believe the recently introduced Jacket models are buyouts. Two others in their line are the Stilettto - it may not have the PFS system though - or their Express Tech - a soft backplate system that allows you to build your own configuration - changeable wings, either weight system (or a belt) etc. I almost considered one for a travel BC also but they're heavy. On their travel model - the Covert - you lose features as the weight drops but the trade-off is 3.9 lbs and it rolls up.

Know that with a bp/w that you'll be carrying the plate on trips. A steel plate does the most good in moving weight off your belt but they're pretty heavy. They also come in aluminum and Kydex - plastic with metal inserts from Deep Sea Supply - they'd be my go to since they sell a complete line of sizes, wings (different lift) and accessories. Completely modular so you can buy a longer plate if needed also take it apart for travel since most go together fairly quickly. And it can obviously be perfectly sized for you. At our size/weight possibly will need some sort of additional weight with the lighter plates - weight belt, bolt-on weight pockets or DSS even sells bolt-on weight plates but they're not ditchable.

Last edited:
I'm 6'5", 255lbs. I have an Aqua Lung Axiom i3 XXL. It is big enough but am not fond of it. I find it is made for a shorter person with a very different weight distribution. Although I am 255 I don't have a large belly (no 6 pack either, lol). I have the belly strap tightened completely and still have room. I'm currently looking to switch to side mount and looking at the Hollis Katana.

I'm currently looking to switch to side mount and looking at the Hollis Katana.

Sidemount could be an option indeed. Why don't give a try to it ?

As someone who was off a similar shape until recently (slimming down quite well), I would have to suggest a BP&W.

I hated the feeling of a jacket BCD - I felt that unless I really cinched the waist strap up it would slide up but then when adding air for buoyancy it started to compress my chest (not great for breathing). If I left it loose enough to breathe, it ended up round my neck on the surface.

With the BP&W it is completely different as there is nothing across the chest to affect breathing. Get the shoulder straps the right length and you are good with whichever suit you wear (drysuit, wetsuit or rash vest), the waist sits at the right level and the crotch strap prevents it riding up when vertical or on the surface. Weighting as well can improve as your backplate can take some weight of a weightbelt (took about 3kg off mine) as well as reducing your overall buoyancy (some jackets are +2-3kg which you need to offset with additional weight). Initial set up is more important though but there are a ton of videos that will help you.

If interested, Jim Lapenta of this forum has a great article which I found very useful.

I actually tried on a Large Aqualung today at my LDS and it ALMOST fit, the XL would certainly fit. Apparently these things generally run large. So, that's good news, opens up a lot more options!

what was said above, at your size, you are far better off looking at a BP/W and depending on your height/inseam ratio, DSS will likely be the only manufacturer that has a BC that fits you properly since they have plates that are much longer than normal plates

I am a large man myself and I bought an Oceanic Excursion QLR4 Dive master because none of the rental bcds fit me. I love it. It is comfortable, tough, and generously sized. An XXL like I bought would probably fit you nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom