Best and cheap Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These ones are good value if you can get them second hand:
  • Suunto Zoop
  • Mares Puck

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Well, that's what computer geeks grokked out of some hardware ID or other: take with a grain of salt and all that. But really, at low end Suunto is about the only ones who make their own computers, everybody else's buying from somebody. So it's not really surprising if Seiko's only "bailed" on software and sales and keep making hardware just fine.

When you see a girl at the bar go up to her and say, "Hi. The scuba diving is great here. I did some dives on normoxic nitrox. Can I get you a drink?"

Works every time. :wink:

The latest Padi Speciality course "normoxic nitrox".

Hi,
Good day,
please suggest me some cheap and easy to use Dive Computers.This should have the ability to collect depth as well as time.
Thank you

I second this as a great, inexpensive option considering the features.... but I am biased :)

I'm not biased, but Deep 6 Excursion Dive Computer is the answer with a Geo4 coming in 2nd.

you will never regret it if you go with a Shearwater.
Oh, I agree, but it costs about twice as much as I can afford right now. My calculus, at the moment, is, dive trip in late winter (on a budget using the old computer) or skip the trip and make a trip in the late fall with a new computer. I'm on a tight budget...that extra $400 does make a difference to me...I'd rather dive now.

Wow, seven pages arguing about cheap computers which are “best”. Of coarse we have the “single button will kill you” crowd, the “OMG, you must have nitrox or you will die” clan and the “you can never compromise on quality or you will die” tribe that insists anything less than a Perdix is money wasted and a death waiting to happen.

A quick reality check, almost ANY puck computer will track your bottom time, depth and keep you out of the NDL. EVERYTHING else is an optional feature. If you out grow your cheap-ass computer, stick it in the pocket of your BCD as your backup. Dimes to dollars, the cheapest computers were all stamped out in the same Chinese factory and the brand was determined by the day of the week and which company they were shipping to.

My suggestion? Make list of desired functions, go to your preferred online retailer and sort by cheapest to most expensive. Keep scrolling down until you hit one that checks all of your boxes. Check reviews and for recalls to make sure it isn’t a total lemon or difficult to navigate. Knowing how to use &set the features takes time, but is an investment.

It may take years for you to decide what you really want in a computer. A basic 2 button, backlit, Nitrox capable puck computer can be found in the $1-200 range. A lot of divers will never want more. New divers should be diving and not leveraging their finances to buy the top drawer computer.

IMHO Money is better spent on a good regulator, BCD, fins, exposure suit etc. Equipment that will have direct moment to moment effect on their dive enjoyment or the dives themselves, like travel, charters or training.

Garmin is a newcomer to the scuba world, we are a miniscule part of their business, they could bail at at time if their business model says to.

Maybe they didn't quite realize how small this industry was until after they got in it.

Kind of like Seiko bailed....

I don't so much think they bailed, as they stopped producing for some, and moved on to others.

I've followed Garmin's business model for quite a while. They took a nose dive when GPS phones came out. They reorganized and now that "wearables" are the rage, their watch market share seems pretty solid. Next to apple watches, they are probably second most popular. The fitness/tech wearable market is big. Garmin's dive watch is a spinoff in the fitness/tech market sector pool so I think it should have some longevity.

I have heard they didn't quite realize how small this industry was until after they got in it.

I hear there's a billion Chinese on the mainland, with a rapidly growing middle class. They just need to realize US/EU is not the market they're looking for. :whistling:

I hear there's a billion Chinese on the mainland, with a rapidly growing middle class. They just need to realize US/EU is not the market they're looking for. :whistling:
How many of them would trust anything made in china? We have to limit the amount of formula milk powder allowed to bring out by them (2 cartons). You will be surprised to see what they bought in HK eg. biscuit, chocolate, shampoo etc. All have higher retail value in the mainland and the middle class is willing to pay!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom