Best Air Integrated Computer - Galileo Luna, Vyper Air, VT4.0, or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Now that I finally have figured out what I'm going to do for a BP/W and have my regulators picked out, I'm down to the computer.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

Uwatec/ScubaPro Galileo Luna
Suunto Vyper Air
Oceanic VT 4.0

My requirements are:
- Wrist Mount
- Easy to use
- Wireless Air Integrated
- Easy to read the screen
- User friendly compass

Unfortunately, I've only been able to play with the Uwatec Galileo Luna and Sol. They are both fairly user friendly. The other two on my list I have only seen pictures and specs for.

Which would you buy and why?

Thanks!

I only have direct experience with the Sol. It has the most sophisticated and polished software, and of course a large display with two bar graphs. The tank module is nice and short. Another plus is the customizable display and option to have push on/off backlight. The button system is easy to use even with thick gloves, unlike my Suunto.

The downside is there is no stock bungee mount, has no on board simulator, and the display does not have the best contrast.

As far as the compass goes, the Sol probably has as good one as any but still not good enough to replace a simple analogue compass, so I'm not sure I'd use that as a critical criterion in choosing one.

Adam

Been using the Luna for 18months now and it is great. The transmitors have no real problems with connections unless you have bigish strobes but then it will reconnect again at depth. My Suunto had to be surfaced to reconnect.
The compass is a joy to use. The only problem with the compass is some people think it's a satnav. You need to remember what heading you are going on incase you delete the settings underwater. Can't think of any muppets that would do that but easy to rectify, just remember what heading your going.

Last edited:
...... The other two on my list I have only seen pictures and specs for....
take them for a virtual dive with our simulator :wink:

Reactions: Jax
Now that I finally have figured out what I'm going to do for a BP/W and have my regulators picked out, I'm down to the computer.

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

Uwatec/ScubaPro Galileo Luna
Suunto Vyper Air
Oceanic VT 4.0

My requirements are:
- Wrist Mount
- Easy to use
- Wireless Air Integrated
- Easy to read the screen
- User friendly compass

Unfortunately, I've only been able to play with the Uwatec Galileo Luna and Sol. They are both fairly user friendly. The other two on my list I have only seen pictures and specs for.

Which would you buy and why?

Thanks!

I'm curious which one you finally chose and your reasoning.

There is one other issue to mention and I'm not sure if it makes any real difference. Some computers are marketed as recreational and not for deco diving, as my Suunto Vyper-- As soon as it goes into deco mode it signals you to ascend. On the other hand Uwatec has no prohibition against using the Sol/Luna for deco diving. It's something that is not often discussed and I'm not sure if it's just marketing or makes any real difference.

Adam

I'm curious which one you finally chose and your reasoning.

I've decided to buy the Luna for several reasons. In my opinion it's the most user friendly of the bunch and also has the best physical design for keeping the elements out. The Luna and Sol both use infrared to connect to the computer, so there are no open holes in the device or exposed pins for the computer connection. The battery also appears to be in an isolated compartment separated from the circuitry. So, if the battery compartment became flooded I doubt the computer would get flooded.

The Suunto Vyper Air got nixed because it has exposed pins for connecting to the computer. It looks like there's potential for corrosion of the contacts, especially in salt water. It also doesn't have a great compass.

I nixed the Oceanic primarily because of a poor compass interface, but as a disclaimer, I have not actually held the Oceanic in my hand. It might be a great computer.

Why I'm not buying the Sol? I think the heart rate monitor is a gimmick and I don't need the "free" Trimix download that Uwatec has been promising for two years and has yet to provide. I just don't see any reason to pay $300 more for the Sol.

Actually all three computers seem like descent choices. I had to look for nit picky reasons to break the ties between them.

If you want both of the most common deco algorithms, then the Oceanic is your choice because you can switch between them.

If you want a nice large screen with a user friendly interface, then the Sol/Luna is the best. That's what I chose. The Luna/Sol also claims to adjust your max bottom time and deco based on your air consumption - it interpolates your "work load" based on how fast you're consuming air and adjusts somehow.

Reactions: CPH
I have been using a Sol for the past four years, and it has been flawless. I had an Oceanic, and the software/USB download cable never worked properly. My dive shop gave me a full refund. Don't know if this problem has been fixed.

I rarely use the heart monitor, one of my dive buddies always uses his. It is actually quite interesting. No issues with transponder not working, and I am an underwater photographer with high powered strobes.

Dan

Another plus for the Sol/Luna is the buttons press sideways from the top, so you grasp your thumb on the bottom of the unit and press with you finger. The other computers have buttons that press down onto the wrist, which is more difficult.

+1 for all the positive comments on the Galileo.

I've been using a Galileo for a couple years. A few years before that, I used an Uwatec Aladdin Tec (now in my daughter's console). The Uwatec's, while initially a little expensive have operated flawlessly. I had one glitch with the transmitter on the Galileo when I first bought it. It was not a big deal. It lost signal more often then the LDS thought it should. Scubapro and the LDS made fast work of getting me another transmitter. Never an issue since. And never any issues with the Aladdin (non AI).

I've owned three Pelagic computers. While Aeries/Oceanic service has been exemplary, it was just too much hassle. Batteries would get eaten..they would replace the battery or the computer. The battery compartment flooded, sorry, here's another computer. Battery dead already, we'll take care of it. I mean Oceanic/Hollis is great, but something got hinky with Pelagic computers. (note that Pelagic is the OEM for other companies besides Oceanic.)

I do have a VEO 100 air only that's never been a problem.

Never owned a Suunto, but I heard they are very conservative.

FWIW, I have a ScubaPro Extender, wrist watch computer, I wear as a backup with my spg. Although I don't believe it is Uwatec, I've used it for ~5 years without a problem. I've been wearing it for about 6 or 8 months as a watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom