Bermuda..Where to Stay and Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padi1029

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, my wife and I are planning a trip to Bermuda in November. Does anyone have any resort suggestions (or ones to stay away from) and dive op suggestions? I am a diver, she is not so we need a resort that offers diving and non diving activities. We are looking at The Reefs, Aireal Sands and Pompano Beach Club, but this is based only on reviews from Trip Advisor and the resort web pages. The Faimont Southampton and Princess also look nice.

IT looks like Bermuda water temps in November are around 72, is this surface or bottom temps? Should I bring my dry suit or is 4/3 or 5/4 neoprene enough? I normally dive the southern carribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) and still use a 3/2fullsuit with hood. How will water temps and ocean conditions compare ?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight you might have.

I'll be doing a few dives, this week, with Dive Bermuda, at the suggestion of a couple of SB posters. Shoot me a PM reminder, after next week, and I'll tell what I think...

I don't know how much you know about Bermuda but getting around is a PITA. No rental cars are available so you are at the mercy of cabs, the bus won't want to see you with a load of dive gear. The cabs are real fussy about taking on a load of wet salty gear. The bottom line is that you should plan to be where you can dive immediately from where you lodge.

Blue water divers has a location in the beach that adjoins the Wyndham but that is closed down right now for renovations I think it's the Fairmont that is next door and has path access to the same dive shop. With the reconstruction of the Wyndham I don't know if that location is open. They offered the usual AM (2) and PM (1) tank trips. Beach diving here is very limited.

Blue water divers has a location for shore diving only at the Elbow Bach resort. a pair of shore dives there is not a bad day. Count on at least $20 each way for cab fare if staying off site.

Of course there are other options but for the sake of time, trouble and dollars you want to be staying where you will be diving from. Plan carefully. In April (06)the water temperature was pretty constant from the surface to 70 feet.

Bermuda is smack dab out there and depending on weather including the hurricane season it can be rough.

Pete

I agree completely, its a PITA. I booked at the Wyndham last Sept12...the day AFTER the hurricane blew through. the onsite dive shop was closed for an undetermined length of time, and even though i had pre-booked my dives,i was out of luck unless i wanted to pay $40USD/day to take a cab to the other shop. it really got to me when i would see the dive truck leaving the Wyndham to go to the other shop at the same time too...Luckily Ifound another divrgirl in the same 'boat' and we split it for two days. Finally on the last day, running short of cash and confidence buoyed by numers, half our boat just waited for the bus. Yes, with dripping dive gear!.
Oh, and the wrecks, vis aside - its not their fault a hurricane silted up the place- a whopping 35 ft. But you get a cool certificate for each one you dive. Overall, kind of disappointed, but it was diving, and it was warmer than Canada.

I agree that getting around Bermuda with dive gear can be a pain, or expensive (what on Bermuda is cheap ???), which is why I also suggest staying at the resort where your dive op is located.

The beach "next to" the closed Wyndham is that of the Fairmont Southampton Hotel. We have stayed at this hotel on vacations for many years, and have enjoyed it each year.

That is also the location of one of Dive Bermuda's shops. The other DB shop is located at the Hamilton Princess hotel. I have dove with Dive Bermuda, on all of our trips to the island, and have been very happy with their services. I would recommend that shop to any divers travelling to Bermuda.

padi1029:
Hi, my wife and I are planning a trip to Bermuda in November. Does anyone have any resort suggestions (or ones to stay away from) and dive op suggestions? I am a diver, she is not so we need a resort that offers diving and non diving activities. We are looking at The Reefs, Aireal Sands and Pompano Beach Club, but this is based only on reviews from Trip Advisor and the resort web pages. The Faimont Southampton and Princess also look nice.

IT looks like Bermuda water temps in November are around 72, is this surface or bottom temps? Should I bring my dry suit or is 4/3 or 5/4 neoprene enough? I normally dive the southern carribbean (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) and still use a 3/2fullsuit with hood. How will water temps and ocean conditions compare ?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight you might have.

As the others have stated, transport of gear is a headache. So, stay at a resort that offers an on site dive operation. Or, arrange to leave your gear a the shop if diving with them over multiple days. Unfortunately, the three resorts you are considering are some of the better on the island but non have on premiss diving. The Fairmont Southhampton does have Dive Bermuda on site. Or consider Grotto Bay who have Triangle Diving on site. Bluewater Divers also runs a great operation but you might want to arrange gear storage, stay at the resort of your choice and dive from their Somerset Bridge location.

I hope you find a combination that results in a great visit.

We stayed at The Reefs a couple of months ago--excellent place and I recommend it highly. The closest dive shop is the Dive Bermuda shop, located as noted at the Fairmont Southhampton. It is a very short cab or bus ride away from The Reefs--and it is only a 15 or 20 minute walk, if you're not carrying a bag full of dripping wet gear. I have never had a problem getting on the bus with my dive bag, by the way--I stand it in my lap and get wet. Taxi drivers will appreciate it if you can bring a towel to put under the bag. They own their vehicles and very understandably want to take care of them. But I've done it lots of times--I don't think that transportation, at least covering the small distances on the south shore, is a big deal at all.

And if you're staying at the Fairmont you just take a shuttle down to the beach. (If you want to sound like you're an old hand, refer to the hotel by its old name--the Southhampton Princess.)

Dive Bermuda is a good operation, but from what I can tell they only go to the south shore sites. If you want to head for the west-northwest sites you'll have to bus or cab it out to Blue Water Divers. Another good op, just farther away if you're staying at the Reefs or another south shore hotel. I love Bermuda--one of my favorite places anywhere.

We stayed at the Fairmont and liked it. I however did not like Diver Bermuda. First they were very expensive. Second they took us to a site we could have dove from the shore and third you had to follow the dive master around. Your profile was limited to 45 minutes. I'm sorry but if I am paying $50 per dive it would be great to be able to go passed 1500 lbs on my tank. I did not even have to change tanks after the first dive. I really like Dive Bermuda much better. No Dive master, although there was one to follow if you wanted, less limit on dive and they at least took you to sites that were more than 100 yards off shore. FWIW no one gave us hard time about carrying wet dive gear on the bus, we just bought a bus pass and had a grand time. Water is cold....... 68? ish last November when we were there, and we were blown out on 2 of our days. Good luck and have fun, not the best diving I have done, but OK.

My husband/buddy and I have dove with Blue Water Divers and Dive Bermuda. Blue Water is much more likely to let returning divers go by themselves, but I believe they had us go with a guide during rough weather one time. (Just as well, as they had to move the boat to another mooring mid dive and it was nice to have someone with us who knew the area when we came up to no boat. They moved (not far) because the wind and waves were blowing them onto the reef.) Both operations had charming and amusing staff and we had a good time with both.

Getting around can be a pain. Since we do lots of things while there, we generally have a double scooter for the week. I take a taxi with the heavy gear on our first dive day, and my husband takes the sccoter. We go home (Rosedon, not a resort but we love it!) on the scooter, usually with snorkel stuff, in case we want to snorkel one of the beaches. We leave BC, regs and heavy wet suits at the dive op. On the last dive day we scooter out, and then I return at the end of the day with heavy stuff in a taxi. It works for us! We did the bus once, but my husband said it made him seasick.

Bermuda is not a dive trip only for us, but it is a place we like to dive. If your SO is not a diver, one of the big resorts should be good. The Southampton offers a ferry to the Princess which is in Hamilton, so walking around from there is easy. Lots of good places to eat. Bus service is good and I bet scooters aren't bad in November. We have been in April, and it really isn't busy yet, from what we are told.

Don't forget to greet people before asking a question. Courtesy and politeness are highly valued in Bermuda, and will make you lots of friends. And it feels good!

Enjoy! Diana

Back
Top Bottom