Bermuda, Aruba or Bahamas-which one???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tndash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. I have 8 days off starting April 16th and want to take a quick dive trip. I have been through most of the islands. I have not been to Aruba or Bermuda, so that automatically makes e interested. I have been to the Bahamas, but (and please don’t judge) want to dive with the sharks @ Stuarts. Money is definitely a factor and I can get to all three relatively inexpensively.

I am trying to decide based on 3 factors:

1) the best and most varied dive spots (may be there 8 days and will be getting in every day)
2) inexpensive accommodations I prefer hostile-like, backpacker accommodations (gotta keep it cheap)
3) I would prefer to go somewhere I haven’t been (aruba, Bermuda), but if the diving is better in Bahamas, will do that(never dove in Bahamas)

Thanks for the input

I've been to several islands in the Bahamas and to Aruba.

the Bahamas is different depending on the island. The larger islands (Nassau,etc) I'm not impressed with. The smaller islands lack a lot of "fancy items" but they are much quieter and in my opinion a better place to visit.

Aruba is a very nice island. Very clean and well kept and AWESOME restaurants from South America there. With that said, it's not one of your cheaper islands either.

If you want cheap accomadations in relation to stuart coves for Nassau, check out Orangeberg Inn. Stuart Coves offers package deals with them. It's cheaper than the "big name" hotels.

In Aruba, don't know where to tell you to stay on the cheap. Try VacationExpress.com . We got a great deal through them for Aruba.

Either place, don't expect food to be cheap. But I bet it's more in Aruba (than the Bahamas) for the places we ate.

The diving cost is cheaper in Aruba than Bahamas. But then again Stuart Cove pretty much has a monopoly and can charge more.

OK- well thx, looks like Bermuda is now out. Also looks like Aruba and Bahamas are comparable by price, so which one would have better diving?

OK- well thx, looks like Bermuda is now out. Also looks like Aruba and Bahamas are comparable by price, so which one would have better diving?

I would say they are somewhat similar. Aruba perhaps slightly better. but neither islands are the "tops" for listed dive islands (like Bonaire, Cozumel, etc).

Aruba doesn't have "shark dives".

If I had to chose between the two, (aruba and Nassau), I'd choose Aruba hands down. Between Aruba and a "small remote Bahamas island", then I'd prob hit the small Bahamas island. just my preference.

Just booked a flight to Nassau-thx all.

Good choice. Aruba and Nassau have very similar diving. the reef isn't spectacular ether place but they both have good wrecks. Nassau is more varied, and it has the sharks. That dive is one of the best shark dives Ive done. I did one in Roatan and Exuma. I liked the one in Nassau the best. The sharks come in much closer there, your surrounded by about 30 of them and they do get close.

fny0br

5ysuns

zxae76

bhbvvl.jpg

sometimes to close! The water was incredibly clear, not on the shark dive but on the wrecks. We had great vis. The fish looked like they were hanging in mid air. It was just weird to be able to see like that, Ive never seen vis like that since. They get good vis a lot there. Its good for filming the movies. Cocoon was filmed there and a few of the bond movies.

121y175.jpg

Have fun with the sharks!!

For the next time in the bahamas, Club Med on San Salvador (they call it Columbus Isle)...reasonable, excellent food and the holy grail of Wall Diving.

well all- I did go to Bahamas & absolutely loved the shark dive-Also decided to get my AOW out of the way too(sometime back was going to go all the way thru-OWSI-didnt pan out). Heres a vid-poor quality from transfer to Youtube, but still fun. Here are some pics too.

YouTube - shark dive 054.AVI

Attachments

• shark dive 015.jpg
    shark dive 015.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 439
  • shark dive 047.jpg
    shark dive 047.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 354
  • 4 allday 043.jpg
    4 allday 043.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 154
  • adll day 4 033.jpg
    adll day 4 033.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 140
  • all day4 023.jpg
    all day4 023.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 140
I have only dove in Aruba. I agree with Mike the food is great if you know where to go. As he also stated it is expensive to eat and stay. I did feel the dives were reasonable and I did take my family on a snorkeling trip and we all enjoyed our selves. Its a clean, beautiful island and the trade winds keep the weather perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom