Beqa Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Beqa Lagoon in Fiji over Christmas this year. I've never been farther than Hawaii, so this is going to be quite the adventure for me.

Does anyone have any tips or opinions on what I should do or not do while I'm there? I'm already fully paid so it's too late to say I should have gone somewhere else. I'm excited about the shark dive, and I'm curious how the conditions generally are in terms of the resort, the water, and the reef. I've talked quite a bit with the salesman, but of course he's a salesman, so I'm taking a large dose of salt.

If anyone has been there, let me know what you think.

My son and I were at Beqa Lagoon Resort ( I assume thats where you are staying? ) a few months ago and had a great time. The resort, food, diving (say hi to Misi) and staff were all great. There is not alot to do there other than dive and relax. Make sure you take the trip to the local village/school (We took a bunch of school supplies, toothbrushes and toothpaste for the kids).

They take care of all you dive gear, all you need in the morning is you suntan lotion and camera. Reefs were generally healthy with more hard coarl than we expected.

The shark dive was great......you will be amaized. We had a 14' Tiger (Princess) come in as close as 3' from us......

You are welcome to call me at 330-856-1996 or warfab@aol.com and I can share info, photos.

Paul

Upper navua river gorge white water rafting trip is well worth the day, and leaves/departs out of pacific harbor.

Get out of Nadi as fast as you can.

the Shark dive is a must, I like the operators that do the open water hand feed verse putting meat on the bottom which blows out the viz quickly. (aquatrek divers I think is the mid water column fee.)

Try to dive outside the lagoon too, the lagoon gets silted up if there is lots of rain, and the Blue Wall dive outside of the lagoon had spectacular viz. I've done fiji 3 times in 5 years. Do a search on some of my old posts.

Thanks for the information. 33 days to go. :)

We are really looking forward to the shark dive. Sounds scary to see a Tiger that close, but there's only one way to get over that fear. Hope she shows.

My favorite dive sites in the lagoon, Carpet Cove is a must must must. Joes best has a great swim through arch. Side streets is nice too. Seven Sisters takes you all around some nice boomies.

Shoot me an email addy and/or postal address in a PM, and I'll send you off a CD-rom full of photos, I must have shot over 4-5000 in beqa lagoon and some have been award winners. I highly recommend a good strobe and wide angle lens if you're a pic taker.

Envy, Fiji Bitter is a GREAT beer, double envy! One of the best gift shops on the coral coast is called Bavari's, best prices and selection, it's half way between Nadi and Pacific harbor. Try some Rotti Rolls at a eatery, great indian food, and if you like hot stuff, try a jungle pepper, real small thin looking jalepeno looking peppers but 100 times hotter than a habanaro.....you've been warned!

Two other dive sites I really enjoy are Fantasy and My Favourite Dive. When I was at BLR last June (with the folks from Maui Dreams Dive Co.) we actually got to Fantasy two or three times. The safety stop at Fantasy was fantastic -- the top of the pinnacle where the mooring is set is at about 15 feet (roughly 5 m). The current was strong when we were there (funny, in June 2006 we almost never ran into current). Those who had reef hooks used them to good advantage. The rest of us just stayed on the "down-wind" side of the pinnacle.

There was so much to see at the safety stop on Fantasy that we regularly stayed there for 5, 10 or even 15 minutes (depending on air consumption).

I had such a great time on my two trips to BLR that I'm already signed up to go back there next June. I envy you being able to go there over Christmas. Have a great 31 days in preparation for a fantastic experience.

Bula!
Dave

How are the dives run? Is it like Roatan where they just park the boat and let you dive free? Or are you lead by a DM? How is the shore diving or snorkeling?

Oh, and what do people wear outside the water? I hear that the south pacific can be a bit more conservative than many of us usually pack for, and I'd hate to be considered "uncivilized". :)

19 days. Tick tock.

Lead by a DM and usually one in the rear, but it's by no means a cattle drive. Dress at the resort is typical tropical attire, you only need to dress a little more conservative if you visit one of the villages or school.

Righto, thanks a bunch. The only part I'm not looking forward to is the flight.

I have been there twice in the past year. This is a great place. I took time to create a dive site map. Go to Beqa Lagoon Dive Sites at the bottom of the page for the pdf map. Say Hi to Wise from the Hodge Family and we will be back soon.

The Air Pacific flight is hell. I did find that Air New Zealand flys to Nadi on the days that Air Pacific does not. Same departure time and place and smaller plane 767.

This is a special place and the best people you would ever want to meet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom