Bent in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim,
Glad to hear you are back up to speed. Thanks for sharing your ordeal with us and keeping us up to date with how things were going, also, thanks to Christi for sharing her story as well. This thread really got lots of people talking, which is a good thing. I hope you have a great time in January.

luvspoodles:
I have a question. The original poster said that there are two diver deaths per month in Cozumel. Is that really true? Where did you get that info? When you said half of the causes were from cardio what did you mean? Why is Cozumel such a huge place for the bends? So many questions...but I'm going in November over Thanksgiving and would just like to know. Thanks.

The average is between one and three diver deaths per month. That info was from DM who has been in Coz for over 20 years. Half of the deaths are heart attacks. Coz isn't so much a huge place for the bends as it is a huge place for divers. More divers equals more cases of the bends. You will be fine. God forbid you take a hit you can rest assured that the chamber is available and well staffed. The bends are generally treatable.

Tim, this was very useful and informative. I'd like to thank you again and wish you good health and safe diving.

I just finished reading this thread and learned quite a bit that will change some of my diving habits. Mostly to gain a little more focus.
I can't remember the thread that lead me here now, my computer froze last night while I was reading this and finally had to shut down, so I may never remember how I got to this great information.
Time and Christi, thank you for sharing your ordeals.
I think the thread is important enough to bring it back to the surface for us beginners and for the old timers who might have forgotten that they're not bullet proof.
THANKS AGAIN.

Tom

I can't resist. Seven days and I hit the water in Turks and Caicos for the first time since I took the hit. A little apprehensive. To complicate matters I have a strained rotator in the shoulder that took the brunt of the DCI hit. That should be fun to sort out post-dive! Wish me luck. The thought of taking another hit and maybe having to give up this sport gives me the willies.

Hi Tim,

As a fellow recent "chamber rider", who still has symptoms, I wish you well on your return to diving. Enjoy it, but PLEASE be safe. Let us know how it goes.
Take care,
Mike

Tim Ingersoll:
I can't resist. Seven days and I hit the water in Turks and Caicos for the first time since I took the hit. A little apprehensive. To complicate matters I have a strained rotator in the shoulder that took the brunt of the DCI hit. That should be fun to sort out post-dive! Wish me luck. The thought of taking another hit and maybe having to give up this sport gives me the willies.

Be safe!
Don't stay deep too long.
Shorter shallower dives usually allow for more diving!

Let us know how the diving goes.

Believe me I am taking nothing for granted. I intend to dive Nitrox on air tables and no more deep drops or stays. No strenuous swimming while diving. No drinking, no smoking, no working out the day before. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Am I missing anything? If I take another hit I want to know its because I wasn't cut out for this sport for whatever reason and not because I did or didn't do something.

Tim Ingersoll:
Believe me I am taking nothing for granted. I intend to dive Nitrox on air tables and no more deep drops or stays. No strenuous swimming while diving. No drinking, no smoking, no working out the day before. Hydration, hydration, hydration. Am I missing anything? If I take another hit I want to know its because I wasn't cut out for this sport for whatever reason and not because I did or didn't do something.

I am excited for you, and I know EXACTLY what is going through your mind.

You have the right plan and the right attitude going back in so in the unlikely event that you take another hit, you'll know it was nothing you did wrong :)

Your first dive is going to feel amazing, but a little scary at the same time. When you get out of the water after the first dive (actually after every dive for awhile), you'll be thinking about every little thing you feel. The good part of this, you DO know what it feels like now and you will be a much more alert/aware and conscientious diver.

One other tip I will give you. If you don't feel hydrated and if you aren't well rested or just not feeling 100%...don't dive.

I wish you the very best for your return to the clear blue water. Enjoy it and be safe :)

We want a full report when you get back :)

Tim Ingersoll:
Sounds like you have it figured out. The only thing I would add to your list is to make sure your rate of ascent is very slow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom