Bent... advice sought on continuing to tech dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to write this in a separate post: I believe we have a serious problem with our use of decompression algorithms because of our use of the word "conservative" to describe the adjustments we make. The word connotes "safer," but is adding more deep deco time to the dive (which is what we usually mean) really safer?

I wanted to write this in a separate post: I believe we have a serious problem with our use of decompression algorithms because of our use of the word "conservative" to describe the adjustments we make. The word connotes "safer," but is adding more deep deco time to the dive (which is what we usually mean) really safer?
GF low of 30 isn't that deep and even Simon talked about a few minutes here or there not really mattering from a statistical perspective (those posts are well and truly buried in debates with Ross). But that said, almost certainly doing extra time in the GFlow 20-40 range, especially if on a heavy nitrogen containing gas when RNT in slow tissues is adding up and penalizing you on the second dive is probably not helping. Adding time on O2 is less debatable as to its safety value, at least if CNS remains <100%

So I ran two different first dives plans:
air, 20 mins @ 200ft, 50% and 100% deco
30/70 has a first stop at 100ft and 1 min every 10ft up to the 70ft switch
50/70 has the first stop at 80ft and its less than a minute
total run time is an hour

2 or 3 hour SI then repeat
no changes basically the same plan either way even repetitively

You only have about 18mins on O2 and are nowhere near CNS limits, you could easily add 8-10mins at 10ft and that'd be a whole lot dialed back from the bubbling edge. That's 50% more O2 time that is barely a ripple in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks everyone who took the time to post, sorry I was busy in the last week and didn't have time to log on. I'll start diving again towards the end of this month and try out the recommendations.

UPDATE: I started diving again 6 weeks after the incident. In 10 days I've done 7 dives, only 1 per day, ranging from 10-30m recreational to 38-48m technical. Using nitrox backgas with air profile, GF 40/70, last stop 3m, extra time on O2 and very slow final ascents from 6m. Happy to report no symptoms or problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom