Bending titanium d ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sound like a good next step. I will get a bigger hammer, but then i need a more solid bench and wise too. I think I hit it so hard that my bench moved. LOL. Maybe time to visit a machine shop.

What I did: First, I marked where I want t bend. I used cold chisel to make a "dent" at that locations. Then I clamped the heck out of the d-ring with bench wise. Then heat up the ring with plumbing torch, and hammered with 16oz hammer. In picture, you can see the chisel mark, clamp mark, also the hammer mark. D-ring isn't bended at all after maybe 5 minutes of hammering. And I think I hammered as hard as I can without destroying bench.

Don't be surprised if it breaks. The cold chisel marks are now stress concentrators in the surface, which can be problematic when bending metals.

Lance

Don't be surprised if it breaks. The cold chisel marks are now stress concentrators in the surface, which can be problematic when bending metals.

Lance

Really!!! Hmm. Reason I choose to cold chisel is because I see such a mark in all bender d ring, SS or Al. I was thinking manufacture creates that so the bend naturally form at the “weaker” spot.

Anothe update. I actual have a old sledge hammer at home and just gave it a try. Now my wise and bench ain’t up to the task. Looks like I need to find someone with heavier machinery for this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom