Belize with teens...need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemom65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to take my family to Belize for Spring break 2011...March 13-19. We all dive, but I am more serious than the rest of the family. If it were just me, I would choose Turneff or a liveaboard, but with no tv...that wouldn't fly. Ambergris has the most activities, but I've read numerous negative reports about the condition of the reef. I am leaning towards either Placencia or Southern Belize..perhaps Hamanasi resort. Wondering if we would have good diving and how much time on a boat in transport. We tend to like nicer resorts when traveling as a family. Would like to do the Caves tubing or some fun jungle tour as well. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Divemom

You cant go wrong with Hamanasi its a very nice resort very well run

Diving is around 45 minutes boat ride each way and your pretty well located for some mainland adventures

Gaz Cooper

I hope I might be able to report on Hamansi after Oct 10. I'll be heading there this Saturday (assuming no hurricanes)

We are in Placencia and you can check us out at Scuba Diving, Snorkeling & Whale sharks Belize|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize. We partner with a number of hotels and resorts so are able to offer accommodation to fit almost any need. Our nearest dive site is Laughing Bird Caye which is about 30 minutes away. A favorite is Silk Cayes which is abut 45 minutes away. We also do Glovers Reef. If there is enough interest, we do the best of Belize which is 6 dives over 2 days including Southwater Caye, the elbow at Turneffe, the aquarium at lighthouse and then the next morning before breakfast the Blue Hole (which is great because there is no one else there at that time) followed by two dives on the way back to Placencia. We are used to teenagers - check out our Splash Kids Club.
We do inland tours. Monkey River river/jungle tour is 30 minutes fun boat ride through the mangroves and then a trip up the river where you see crocodiles, huge iguanas, turtles, lots of birds and where you hike into the jungle to find the howler monkeys. Cockscomb (about 45 minutes away) is the largest preserve for jaguars and big cats in the world and a great place for hiking (has a waterfall where you can swim and has river tubing). Placencia is also close to the southern Maya ruins and Blue Creek cave.
You can reach Patty (who is also a dive mom) at patricia@splashbelize.com for additional info and assistance.

No TV? You would pass on Turneffe because of no TV? Kids would rather sit in a room and watch TV than be on the beach?
If you could get your kids to dive the Elbow and see all the fish there, they might change their minds.

Gaz,

Would I be able to do a whale shark dive from Hamansi? How long boat ride? Thanks!
Divemom

You can do the whale sharks dive from Hamanasi. They're about 25 miles or so from Gladden.

Took my 2 kids, ages 23 & 26 to Ambergris last Nov. First dives for them. We all loved it but I have suggestions from our experience. Send me your Email and we'll trade phone numbers. I live in Austin also!

Advice for teens? Drown 'em:wink:

No TV? You would pass on Turneffe because of no TV? Kids would rather sit in a room and watch TV than be on the beach?
If you could get your kids to dive the Elbow and see all the fish there, they might change their minds.
I haven't had TV since 1988 but most people think they can't live without it. I've had one in the rooms on many dive trips that never got turned on. My daughter's family has a set each and while they can go camping for a couple of days without TV, if there is one in a motel, etc - it's on. It'd be great to take the teens to an atoll and say: "Surprise! No TV so discover the world."
Gaz,

Would I be able to do a whale shark dive from Hamansi? How long boat ride? Thanks!
Divemom
Whale sharks are best done from Cancun in the summer if you miss them. Good luck and have a great trip... :pilot:

Back
Top Bottom