Belize: Which Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to do Ambergris Caye on a budget, i would suggest Pedro's Inn very inexpensive $12.00 to $45.00 a night depending upon what room you want. The diving will cost you about $75.00 for a two tank dive and a discount will be given depending on cash payment and how many dives you do. If you eat at the local restraunts you can get by a lot cheaper than on the beach.

Check out www.ambergriscaye.com tons of info on anything you need. If your looking for a rental house...take a look at Casa Caracol. Very reasonable if you have a group of people (4-6) and close enough to town (shopping/resturants) that you don't need to rent a golf cart. It's also right on the beach and close to several dive shops. My wife and I have used Chuck and Robbie's (www.ambergriscayediving.com) on our last 2 trips to AC. They are a great smaller outfit that usually has smaller dive groups on the boat. San Padro has tons of good resturants...lots of good little hole in the wall type places that are cheap to eat at and very good. You have to go to BC's beach bar on Sunday for their BBQ...good stuff. I hope we get to go back next year..already miss it.

The Logic Theorist - So glad to hear you had a great experience at Glover's Atoll "Resort". We had a blast there in 2004 (got my OW there - great instruction from Becky) and are plotting a return trip next August.

When were you there? There has been some bad press about dive safety and equipment in disrepair that is disconcerting - don't know if it's true or not. Can you tell us more about your dive experiences? Truly, the more details the better. :eek:) Thanks in advance!

The Logic Theorist - So glad to hear you had a great experience at Glover's Atoll "Resort". We had a blast there in 2004 (got my OW there - great instruction from Becky) and are plotting a return trip next August.

When were you there? There has been some bad press about dive safety and equipment in disrepair that is disconcerting - don't know if it's true or not. Can you tell us more about your dive experiences? Truly, the more details the better. :eek:) Thanks in advance!

I was there March of this year (07). I didn't see any equipment issues with anything I or anyone else rented, and I didn't have any safety issues or hear of any from any of the other divers. Everyone there seemed to really enjoy the trip. I'm not really sure what else I can say, but if you're interested in reading about my experience there I have a blog with pictures up of that trip here:

http://www.thelogictheorist.com/belizeindex.hml

Tobacco Caye rules.

If you can make Ambergris Caye work then I would definitely do it. Others have posted excellent links to find accommodations there at very reasonable prices. I have an office in San Pedro and go there often, the city is great and I love diving and fishing around there. Good Luck and enjoy!

You can't go wrong with any of Belize's Cayes. If you would like a more private setting try St. Georges Caye. If you would like more details pm me and I will give you the details and contact information. It's about 15 minutes from Belize City.

Tobacco Caye rules.

I have to agree. Nice deep cut there and lots marine life activity. I've always wondered if on the right swell....a hurricane out off of the Caymens say...if there wouldn't be good surf on the south side.....or even the north side of that cut. I've seen some perfect little waves breaking there but too small and too shallow to ride. But it has potential....:D

Back
Top Bottom