BELIZE SUGGESTIONS for Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkandls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking for 2 or 3 recommendations on where to stay in Ambergris Caye. Prefer resort that is close to diving with smaller boats for smaller dive groups. thanks

I went to Belize last August. I can highly recommend Belize Beach Suites at White Sands Cove. It won't be the least expensive place, but you will get a very nice room.

This is actually not a hotel, but rental of Condos that others own. You will have your own kitchen. Nice rooms and nice people. They don't have a restaurant on premises though. The nearest restaurant is a 5 minute walk up the beach. White Sands Cove is one of the first resorts as you head north out of San Pedro. They will make arrangements for you at White Sands if you want them to.

They also met me at the airport, and stopped by a grocery store so I could buy supplies on my way in. I would definitely recommend giving them a look.

Most "resorts" don't do their own diving but use local operators, though a few dive shops are associated with hotels. Most dive operators will service most hotels, and there is a reasonable selection of small and well regarded operators. Have a look at http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html to get some accommodation ideas. A lot depends what sort of place you want to be in (close to town but noisier, farther away with a nice beach but maybe a bit isolated, fully equipped vs. basic & rustic, price, etc) and when you'll be travelling. You'll probably get people posting their own experiences here, but do that basic homework first so you know how to interpret what they say. You can PM me if you want.

Definitely PM Peter. Unfortunately, I didn't dive with Protech when I went there (it was a LDS trip), but when I return to Belize I will definitely dive with them. Small boats with personal service. Plus if you want Nitrox, they were the first on the island to supply it and one of only two now. Set up your diving with Peter and then look for a resort close to his shop.

There are loads of resorts as Peter has stated. If you stay in town or south of town you can walk most everywhere. Some Specific one's Banana Beach Resort, Palm, Xanadu, Paradise Villas.All can be found on the Ambergris Caye web site http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/lodge/lodging.html
As for the small group diving you might look at us Ecologic Divers, Protech (peterbj7),
Belize Diving Adventure. Most of the other PADI dive centers go out with slightly larger groups.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed at Banana Beach 3 years ago, and at Coconuts last month. Each of those resorts are well away from town, but it's a pleasant walk. There is an access way along the ocean, so you can walk from your hotel to town, and stay by the ocean the whole way. It makes for a very relaxing "surface interval". If you don't stay at an all inclusive hotel, I'll suggest you get away from shore for one of your first meals in town. There is a restraunt called Caramba that is two blocks in from the ocean. I found it to be such a good value, that I actually saved a coupon from the place as a souvenier. (Free rum punch and conch ceveche with purchase of an entre.) The menu prices are in local currency, so cut them in half, if you're thinking of American dollars.

Beef tends to be tough out on the islands, and I generally don't care for the lobster. (...and I'm not a fan of fish to eat, so I didn't try it.) They seem to do pretty well with chicken, pork, and conch. (...and did I mention the first rum punch was free?)

When I go back to Belize, I plan to check out Protech or Ecologic divers. Both seem to have their beach areas squared away, but that's all I saw as I walked up the beach. I had a petty dispute with Ambergris Divers (the dive op I used on both my trips to the caye), and I'll take my business elsewhere.

I go along with all the above advice. We used Chuck & Robbie for all our local diving (Chuck & Robbie's). Robbie is the head divemaster and co-owner. He was our divemaster everyday and we had smaller groups (<10) every day. We did the turneffe elbow trip with Amigos Del Mar...very good outfit also. We found some good resturants with great food and very resonable prices. Most of them are little hole in the wall kind of places with sand floors...but don't let that stop you. We are going back this April..can't wait.

Hi. I just finished planning a trip to Belize (2/9 - 2/23/07) where we will stay in Ambergris, Placencia and San Ignacio.

My Ambegris accomodation potential list included: Corona Del Mar, Coral Bay Villas, Tradewind Villas and Paradise Villas. Corona Del Mar was the winner and only property that had my dates available. My list was based on responses received back from the properties and reviews posted on Tripadvisor.com

Happy Travels !:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom