Belize - San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Z

New
Reaction score
Anyone been to Belize (San Pedro) recently - How was the water clarity and surface conditions?

Thanks

It's been a couple of years, but I don't think it's changed much. Visibility is usually in the 80 range. Surface conditions when we were there was 5-10' chop, but still very doable.

I'm going in May and was there last summer as well. The water inside the reef is pretty much like glass, with a slight chop outside...but why go there unless your headed to the atolls. I really like Belize a lot it isn't expensive (other than flights) and the people are simply wonderful. The food is excellent and the pace of life a dream. Enjoy San Pedro town; stop by the Tides for a drink with Butch the bartender.

We've had a bit of wind recently, not unusual for March, though mostly from the north so it doesn't greatly affect sea conditions. The wind is cold though, and with wind chill it's very cold as you get out of the water. In case there is still wind, bring a baggy nylon top that you can easily put on over your wetsuit and don it as soon as you're back on the boat - makes a tremendous difference.

Last week we did have four days in a row when boats couldn't go outside the reef. One or two large boats did, but no-one elected for a second dive.

Water clarity varies a lot with depth and weather conditions. Recently it's been as poor as 30' and as good as 150'. Reckon on 50'-80' on average. Come with a flexible attitude - there'll be days when diving is contra-indicated, so be prepared to do something else. Best not to buy a pre-paid dive package unless (unusually) it's refundable if you don't dive.

When are you planinng to go. I be there in mid April and will post. Staying at Royal Caribbean for a week

We'll be staying at The Tides. It has a well respected small dive shop on premises, great staff, and is a short walk from town. We'll be heading down in the third week.

By the way, peter, I don't think Patojo goes to the blue hole much or perhaps not at all. Do you folks head out with regularity? I'm thinking a day out might be a great deal of fun. We'll be on Caye Caulker for 5 days before heading over to San Pedro, so will be looking to head out around the 1st of June or thereabouts.

My wife and I along with my sister are going to be in San Padro from April 21st-28th. We will be staying in a rental house (Casa Caracol)..about a half a block north of the Tides. I'm sure we will be hanging out at the Tide's pool bar some. We will be doing our local diving with Chuck & Robbie's. We are going to do one 3 dive day trip..either the turneffe elbow trip..or the lighthouse reef trip if we can find an operator and enought people to do it without doing the bluehole dive. My wife and I have no desire to do the blue hole dive..but would love to do the lighthouse reef wall dives.

I'm headed to Belize - Ramon's village ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!!!! I'm so excited! What is the water temp?

Polysemous1 - Patojo doesn't go to the Blue Hole at all, but his brother Changa runs trips there all the time (he runs Amigos del Mar).

Seadoggirl - around 82F at the surface, 5-10 degrees less at 130'.

I can't wait. Thanks for the information. The northern Gulf of Mexico is still in the low 60's and I am in major need of some warm water. I was advised to bring the full length 3mm instead of a shortie. Does that sound right, Peter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom