Belize - San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belize is great. Try Seasports Belize we had a great time with them...small group and American Ran.

Just got back last night from Belize, though we were in the jungle since wednesday. There were several days only the bigger boats went out past the reef due to the winds. We did go out a few times with Aqua Dives on some of the windier days, but even they did not go out every day. We went with Protech on the calmer days (their larger boat is not working now). Bit of chop outside the reef on the windier days, but still did second dives each time. The wind is reducing the vis to about 50-80', but still much better than here in Monterey! The water was about 77-81 degrees, and we were happy and comfortable to have 3mm full suits, but our friends had 3mm shorties, and only got a slight chill at the end of a dive.

Larger boat just coming back on line..... Only a small repair was needed, but difficult to find someone to do it.

I was in Belize at Ramon's on Ambergris Caye at the end of January. The waters were sometimes a little rougher than what you would usually find in the Caribbean. Getting back on the boat requires a little more patience and thought. Overall, some nice dives. Water was fair to average for clarity (at least it was for me). Diving in the Marine Park was nice because it was not as trampled and the colors were better. If you get a chance to dive further south around the Turneffe Atoll, it will be spectacular and is the best diving off Belize.

Hi ScubaZ,

I was in Ambergris 2/9- 2/15/07. Water Viz was at least 60 - 70+, water temp 80 degrees. Water conditions inside the reef were great, outside the reef was very, very bumpy. It was my first time in a small boat being bounced around like a rubber ducky. On the bright side, I got to add another water entry [FONT=&quot]technique [/FONT]to my dive log.

If you do the Blue Hole trip, go with Amigos Del Mar ! These guys were great.

2Bluewater

What's that entry technique - being thrown bodily into the water?

March is noted for winds and we had some pretty bad ones up to a week-or-so ago. When they have a significant on-reef component they can cause some big swells. From any direction the wind can cause some pretty big surface "ripples". Several times we had waves breaking over the entire boat while passing through the reef.

That's all currently behind us, and we've got some pretty calm seas for now. And visibility is creeping up from maybe 50' to around 100', still not as good as it can be.

Returned home today after a week of diving with Protech and Peter's group. It was our 3rd week with them in 3 years. Surface conditions outside the reef were a bit on the rough side last week but as the winds decreased, things were much improved. Protechs larger boat was down for a few days with a oil pan repair but it was back up and running the day we left. Friday morning it was smooth and fantastic. Water temps 79-81 F. With Viz about 70 feet. It was painful to leave. Ken :42:

I was in Ambergris Caye in mid April. I went diving with Amergris Divers. Vis was about 15-18meters (45 - 60 feet). Somedays it was better. Nurse sharks and grouper were abundent. Saw some amazingly large spotted eagle rays. The clarity of the water was not as good as I had in Bonaire but the critters were much more.

This seems like the place to ask. Don't know too much about Central American diving, although have done Roatan one Christmas. So I'm on this board to learn.

Where to go for Christmas and/or New Year diving in Belize to get the best opportunities to dive with pleasant accommodation? In this situation good diving would mean - warmest water, able to dive on most days and professional dive op goes without saying.

I would rather be able to dive with modest viz and see a few things most days than only be able to dive one day and see big stuff. And I know that all you can do is go for the best option - have been to places with usually "guaranteed" diving every day and ended up not diving at all because of the weather. No probs - c'est la vie.

And we prefer to be places where we can walk out to local town/bars etc. Don't need fancy accommodation - but basic clean and friendly is great.

Would appreciate suggestions. And then I can focus on just one or two to research.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom