Belize resorts -- seeking advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swoodley

Registered
Reaction score
A diving friend/buddy and I are just starting to make plans for a trip to Belize this fall.

We already know that we want to avoid the more developed Ambegeris Cay and stay and one of the remot resorts on an island atoll. This will be a DIVING vacation. But, I wouldn't mind some time out to "chill" on the beach, snorkle in the local lagoon, kayake or what have you. Please, no night life except a good book, some good food (but nothing fancy) and good company.

To that end, we are wondering what people here have to say (positive or negative) about any of the following resorts:

-Blackbird Caye Resort (www.blackbirdresort.com/welcome.html)

-Turneffe Flats: (www.tflats.com/index.html)

-Turneffe Island Lodge (www.turneffelodge.com)

-Light House Reef Resort (www.scuba-dive-belize.com/index.html)

Can anyone give us an idea of how these different resorts compare to each other? Also, I know it is closed until 2004 (what's the deal with that anyway?) but how does Manta Resort compare against these others? Of course, if there are any good ones I missed, I am interested in hearing about them too.

Thank you in advance for all advice, support, wise cracks etc.

-Sam W.

swoondley,

I don't know if you've been to Belize before and I can't comment on the various resorts, but don't freak out when you get to Belize City.

I was there about a year ago, and hadn't before. I started having serious concerns when I left the airport and saw Belize City. Nothing bad happened, but my first impression when I saw the houses and the rusty bars on the windows was not a good one.

I spent 6 weeks on Caye Caulker and it was great. I dove with Belize Diving Services, and they arranged accomodations and everything for me. I had my own little cabin with a beach view for 8 € a night. They also have posh accomodations with all kinds of price ranges, it just depends on what you want to do. I have heard really nice things about the places you inquired about, I doubt you could go wrong, I loved the entire time I spent there.

Have fun!!

If you're really just going to dive and don't care to do much else, this place is tops. Basic accomodations, no nightlife, and great diving if you're not into the "resort experience".

Blackbird Caye...

Definitely no night life, no roads, no cars, no stores...just ten cabanas and a dining lodge.

You can windsurf, canoe, kayak, read, or sleep during the SI.

You can swim/snorkel in the leeside lagoon if the saltwater crocs are on holiday.

They dive The Elbow and Blue Hole.

PM me if you want other details..

swoodley once bubbled...
A diving friend/buddy and I are just starting to make plans for a trip to Belize this fall.

We already know that we want to avoid the more developed Ambegeris Cay and stay and one of the remot resorts on an island atoll. This will be a DIVING vacation. But, I wouldn't mind some time out to "chill" on the beach, snorkle in the local lagoon, kayake or what have you. Please, no night life except a good book, some good food (but nothing fancy) and good company.

To that end, we are wondering what people here have to say (positive or negative) about any of the following resorts:

-Blackbird Caye Resort (www.blackbirdresort.com/welcome.html)

-Turneffe Flats: (www.tflats.com/index.html)

-Turneffe Island Lodge (www.turneffelodge.com)

-Light House Reef Resort (www.scuba-dive-belize.com/index.html)

Can anyone give us an idea of how these different resorts compare to each other? Also, I know it is closed until 2004 (what's the deal with that anyway?) but how does Manta Resort compare against these others? Of course, if there are any good ones I missed, I am interested in hearing about them too.

Thank you in advance for all advice, support, wise cracks etc.

-Sam W.

While I can't compare Lighthouse Reef with the others, I can offer a fairly recent review of the resort and diving there. Contact me at Don.Acheson@verizon.net if you're interested.

I am surprised no one has said anything about liveaboards in Belize. Is that a good option or are the land based resorts a better way to go?

We just finished our first liveaboard experience with Nekton in the Bahamas. We were considering using them in Belize next. The Bahama trip was a serious dive trip. We did 5 dives a day spending around 6 hours a day under water. It was great. But there was no night life although the food was very good.

Any thoughts on how a liveaboard in Belize compares with the land resorts mentioned?

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
I spent 6 weeks on Caye Caulker and it was great. I dove with Belize Diving Services, and they arranged accomodations and everything for me. I had my own little cabin with a beach view for 8 € a night. They also have posh accomodations with all kinds of price ranges, it just depends on what you want to do. I have heard really nice things about the places you inquired about, I doubt you could go wrong, I loved the entire time I spent there.

Have fun!!

We just did CC also - also dove with Belize (Oscar is awesome, but all of them are great). You can stay all the way from the new Iquana to little $30/d cabanas - take your pick.

Lots of great restaurants (Habeneros is our fav but liked them all).

No snorkeling but we still loved it.

Cheers
Curtis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom