Belize Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone, thanks for the info you've posted. I just booked a week trip to Ramon's. I'm single, so it seems like a good place. I don't mind being around locals and other people, I actually prefer it sometimes. Anyways, I'd like to do the Elbow and Lighthouse reef when I'm there. Any idea how often Ramons goes to these places or any other info on there dive operation, not too much details on their web site, just lots of good reviews around the industry. Thanks.

In a nutshell....

Turneffe Island Lodge sets the standard to which all others are compared.

Period.

Amigos Del Mar and Aqua Dives both do blue hole (lighthouse reef) and turneffe trips every week. I was in San Padro last week...Amigos did two trips to the blue hole...just depends on demand. It takes I believe at least 8 or 10 divers to book for them to make a trip.

jheil82:
Hi everyone, thanks for the info you've posted. I just booked a week trip to Ramon's. I'm single, so it seems like a good place. I don't mind being around locals and other people, I actually prefer it sometimes. Anyways, I'd like to do the Elbow and Lighthouse reef when I'm there. Any idea how often Ramons goes to these places or any other info on there dive operation, not too much details on their web site, just lots of good reviews around the industry. Thanks.

Ramons will go there any day they have enought interest. we rallied a group of divers together one afternoon and they got a boat ready for us the next day to go to Turneffe. You will find the diving out there to be far beyond anything around amberguis. The boat ride is long, but, beautiful.
The diving out of Ramons is fast and convenient. local trips are less than 10 min out.
If you are single, you picked the right spot.
If you are going just to dive, Turneffe is the place.
enjoy!

My choice would be Ramon's Village. Palm Thatched cabanas on the beach and an easy walk into San Paedro to enjoy the islands activities. It is true that people from town will walk by and occasionaly take a swim but hey the beach is public every where on the island and Ramon's has the best beach. I have mever felt concerned for safety anywhere on the island.

I realize this is an old thread revival, but...

My GF and I dove with Hamanasi last August (2010). It is SOUTH of Ambergris Caye, you fly into Dangriga. Resort was very nice - which is reflected in the price. Staff were SO friendly and helpful. Town of Hopkins is a close bike ride away (free for use) or golf cart ride (also free).

Dive Shop = 5 Star Padi. 100% legit. Beautiful boats, and great crew/DMs. Water temp = diving in swim suit and comfortable. We went down to around 100feet or so (DMs try to keep you around 85ft so that people bad on air dont kill the dive time) and were comfortable with zero exposure protection = amazingly awesome diving. I would go back in a heartbeat, but would also like to check out Ambergris Caye.

You could consider Placencia. Lots of hotels and resorts o chose from and besides the diving there is good access to inland tours. You can check out some of the hotels on our website Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize. Splash just won the Belize Hotel Association Allied Member Award for 2010 - we are not in the hotel business but we partner with a number of hotels and the ones on our list are all good places to stay.
Regards
Ralph

This is a great thread and good to see it's getting revived.

My wife and I are looking at a Belize trip in October. Been on our list for years but been hitting every where else. Wanting someplace quiet, but close to town (San Pedro or Placencia, doesn't matter - and I realize they're totally different). The most important thing would be a nice place to stay and decent dive sites within a few minutes boat ride. I understand there's no shore diving in Belize really so I realize that's out, but the shorter the boat rides the better... unfortunately. :-(

Basically a good idea of a "general location" that has decent diving within 10 minutes or so would be good. Like is that more likely if we stay on Amberguis or does Placencia offer that as well?

A few we've been looking at is Mata Rocks, Belize Palms, Coco Beach, (is Journeys End still around?). Turneffe Islands looks nice as well but a little secluded I've heard, and like I said we're not ALL about diving. We're not big into night-life but would be nice to be able to walk, golf cart, bike ride to shopping & restaurants, etc.

Any suggestions? Much appreciated.

San Pedro is your best fit.

In Placencia, the boat rides are longer, and although there are a few restaurants in the village and more up the road on the peninsula, there's not a lot of shopping to be had, maybe three or four shops plus whatever you can find on the Main Sidewalk.

The boat rides are shorter off the Turneffe Atoll, but there's zero shopping and restaurants out there.

This forum has slowed down considerably in the last couple of months, so you may want to peruse the many threads already here. Have fun! Belize is a wonderful country to visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom