Belize Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam Chicago area, your bil is probably thinking of The Palms, just north of Ramon's. http://belizepalms.com/ It is a very popular condotel so it would be wise, given the size of your group, to make your reservations as early as possible.

Just so you're prepared...all beaches and piers are public, even at the poshest of resorts. If you want to be insulated from the local people, Ambergris Caye may not be for you.

There are lots of good places all over. Unless the original poster can give some clue as to where he wants to be or what he wants to do no-one can give useful information. For example, I could give you lots of information on hotels in say Miami, but if you really wanted to be in Orlando that wouldn't help much. We really are talking about completely different and unrelated areas.

Hon:
Adam Chicago area, your bil is probably thinking of The Palms, just north of Ramon's. http://belizepalms.com/ It is a very popular condotel so it would be wise, given the size of your group, to make your reservations as early as possible.

Just so you're prepared...all beaches and piers are public, even at the poshest of resorts. If you want to be insulated from the local people, Ambergris Caye may not be for you.

Thanks! That helps a lot.

We were going to stay Ramons, glad we did not it is on the road very small units pool is tiny. We ended up at Banyon Bay (hope spelling is right).it is a condo he got a 2 bed room very large 2 bath large living room veiw of beach. Big pool, nicest place in town. I think we paid around 200.00 a night. If we ever went back that is where we would stay. Oh dive boat picks you up at their dock or a nother dive boat next store.

Ed

We were @ Turneffe Lodge March 2007 - I can't say enough cool things about the place! Great food, friendly staff, excellent diving (sharks, dolphins, HUGE turtles, manta rays, eagle rays, permit, along with the usual suspects inlcuding lobster, crabs, barracuda, morays), 1st class dive op, comfortable accomodations. As for the weather, we were lucky. I've heard about rough conditions, but we had calm waters and sunshine the whole week. We dived the Blue Hole & were the first boat to arrive, except for the Aggressor. Turneffe is 1 1/2 hour off the mainland, so you have a head start. The diving around Half Moon Caye was awesome.

riverdiver:
We were going to stay Ramons, glad we did not it is on the road very small units pool is tiny. We ended up at Banyon Bay (hope spelling is right).it is a condo he got a 2 bed room very large 2 bath large living room veiw of beach. Big pool, nicest place in town. I think we paid around 200.00 a night. If we ever went back that is where we would stay. Oh dive boat picks you up at their dock or a nother dive boat next store.

Ed

Not olny the things that you mention, which are accurate, but it is noisy and has some security issues. You made the right move.

I've stayed at both the Turneffe Lodge and Sunbreeze on Ambergris. I really liked Sunbreeze, and would recommend it if you were looking for some night life on the Island. Everything is within walking distance. BUT if you don't care about night life, go to Turneffe Lodge. It is by far the best option. I've been 3 times in recent years and can't wait to go back. The Elbow is not to be missed!!!!

Any recommendations for places with shore diving?

We just got back from Ambergris Caye and I couldn't recommend it more. Yes the beaches are public, but isn't part of the point of visiting another place to interact with the people there? If I need to be insulated, I'd sit home on my couch in my own private world.

Ambergris was different then anyplace else I've been in the Caribbean, but in a really nice way. I loved the laid back natural non commercial feel of it, the 'no worries' attitude there, and the diving was heavenly. As two females traveling alone we felt perfectly safe at all times, and loved that we could actually go downtown and enjoy some of the local places without being told we had to be back at our hotel before nightfall or it wouldn't be safe (which we have been told at other places we've been). We stayed at the Banana Beach Resort which was a little far from town, but no problem to get picked up there for diving or any other activities. If I go again I'd probably stay closer to town just so we wouldn't have to do the long walk back at night in heels :)

We dove and snorkeled with Ecologic Divers, and they were excellent. We did day and night time dives with them, and loved both. I won't bore you with miles of details, but my friend who wasn't even comfortable in the water before going out with them is now taking swimming lessons, and is determined to be a certified diver one day. In 31 years, no one has ever made her feel that comfortable or that excited about being in the water, so to me that says a lot about how good these guys are.

No matter where you go, I really don't think you'll regret choosing Belize. I've been a lot of places, lived in other countries etc, and there's never been somewhere I've wanted to go back to more then once. I am booking a trip back to Ambergris Caye this week.

Good luck with your choice, and no matter what you decide, make the most of every second because it will be over way too fast.

Carol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom