Belize photos, January 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, You mentioned about the fish population there. My opinion was that the main reef in Ambergris Caye was lacking in fish-perhaps over fished? The main reef has lots of finger canyons and you see more of the "big stuff" like nurse sharks & rays, but not so many fish. The photos where there were schools of fish, or just more fish, were off of the main reef. One location was the marine park by Half Moon Caye/The Aquarium dive site. Another spot where the fish were plentiful was the marine park by the Hol Chan dive site. So my pics are a compilation of all these various sites that were visited over a 7 day period of time.

Wonderful photos. I have dove all those sites and your pictures are amazing! You captured all my favorites! Thanks for the link!

Great pics! Cant wait to go back in April.I didn't dive the Blue hole last year but will most likely do it this time.The wife and sis can go to the mainland and enjoy the maruba spa while i'll be doing "the hole".
I've traveled and dove all over and this will be my first return trip to somewhere we have been before.
Belize has truly friendly people and great food at affordable prices.

Great photos....

Thanks for the photos Becky! I am departing for AC, Belize on March 15th and I can't wait (especially now after seeing your photos). I've never been. We're staying at the same hotel and diving with Aqua Dives. Any thoughts on either? Also, what type of exposure suit did you wear? I'm not sure of the water temp there but I ususally wear a 3 mil full because I always get cold!
And last but not least, any rec's on great places to eat?

Thanks so much!

Hi;

It sounds like you are headed to San Pedro about the same time as I am. I am doing one week on the Nekton and then headed to San Pedro on March 15th. I am diving with Pro-Tech as he does come highly recommended. Another operator who gets high praise on the board is Eco-Logic. I haven't heard negative reports about the dive operator at your hotel so I think you should be fine. Your hotel is very nice and you will enjoy it there and you won't need a taxi from the airport...just walk 50 feet and you are there. There are lots of great restaurants in San Pedro and on the island and before our trip in 2005 I did a lot of surfing various sites to pick up recommendations and the following ones were well worth going to:

CELI'S RESTAURANT ON THE BEACH- at the San Pedro Holiday Hotel. Open 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Beach BBQ every Wednesday night. SPECIAL SEAFOOD dishes every day. Indoor and outdoor dining. Reservations not required.
CALIENTE MEXICAN & CARIBBEAN CUISINE - Serving lunch and dinner daily from 11 am - 9:30 pm. On the beach in the Spindrift Hotel. Try one of Jennie Staines' original creations. Closed Mondays.
CASA PICASSO - Come and check out San Pedro's "best kept secret," CASA PICASSO. This intimate and ultra-stylish restaurant-club-bar is located just 1Ž2 mile south of town on the lagoon side Offering Spanish style tapas combined with other favorite appetizers, delicious and filling pasta dishes and the islands' largest dessert menu, the laid back cool lounge bar and plush sofas make it a perfect spot. Phone 226-4507.
CAPRICORN RESTAURANT & BEACH BAR - is small and intimate and worth the boat, golf cart or bike ride! "Interesting" snacks and dishes are served at the friendly beach bar and restaurant. Phone 226-2809 for reservations or transportation options.
Le BISTRO @ PORTOFINO - is the newest most talked about Dining Experience on Ambergris Caye, designed with concepts of Euro-Caribbean Fusion Cuisine. Our restaurant features a Romantic and Eclectic Atmosphere with our In Dining Room Kitchen and Elevated Deck, overlooking the Blue Caribbean. Call 220 5096 for reservations.
MAMBO RESTAURANT- Mambo Cuisine -for food lovers at Mata Chica Resort on the beachfront. From our Italian Chef, enjoy the homemade pasta and bread, shrimp pate, bruschetta, char-broiled seafood, gnocchi, and more! . You will say, "our dinner was Unbelizable." Call 220-5010 or 220-5011.
ELVI'S KITCHEN- for gourmet dining under the flamboyant tree. Daily specials. Caribbean Night on Thursday, Mexican Night on Saturday, and Mayan Fiesta every Friday- Come try our Mayan Buffet while you are serenaded by Pablo Collado on his magical flute and melodious guitar. Lunch 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Open Mon. through Saturday. Live music: "Di place for Seafood." Call us for group reservations at 226-2176 or 226-2404.
PAPI'S DINER- Welcome to Papi's Diner, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize, Central America. Good Food, Good Friends at Great prices!
RUBY'S CAFE- Right along Front Street, Ruby's opens early for breakfast and is ready to serve you all day long.
ESTEL'S DINE BY THE SEA- Open at 6am, great food, right at the waters edge of the beautiful Caribbean.
CRAZY CANUCK'S BAR- Playador Hotel. Live music Monday and Thursday evenings - Half price rum drinks 5pm to 7pm daily and all day Monday and Friday.
VICTORIA HOUSE -Indulge yourself! Fine Continental-Caribbean dining at one of the Caye's most beautiful resorts. Phone 226-2067 for reservations or transportation.
PURPLE PARROT BAR - San Pedro's #1 Bar serving the most delicious frozen drinks in Belize. Live entertainment Tue. and Fri. from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
WET WILLIES - Open 7 days a week from 11am. Daily Specials, Happy Hour 8-9pm. At the Hustler Pier.
COCINA CARAMBA - Specializing in Local Mexican & Caribbean food, choices of Fresh Lobster, Shrimp, Fish, Crab Claws, Chicken, Pork, all in a variety with delightful flavor and style. Hours are from 11:00 am to 2:00pm and from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm., and closed on Wednesdays. 603-1652
JERRY'S CRAB SHACK - All the seafood varieties that the island has to offer, including crab cakes with lime-caper sauce, plus filet steaks with mushroom sauce and pizza with your choice of toppings. Phone 206-2552.
BLUE WATER GRILL- Thai style food, sushi rolls, and more! "Sushi Tuesdays," wood fired pizzas, Happy Hour 4-6, Island Style Cuisine with a twist. At the Sunbreeze Hotel, right on the waters edge. Phone 226-3347.
JAMBEL JERK PIT- One of my favorite eateries on the island. Spicy and flavorful but not too hot. Just the right kick. Fun atmosphere and service with great reggae always playing. Go to the Jerk Pit Mon and you'll be happy. Phone 226-3303.
BC's BAR- On the beach, downtown. A beachfront bar with snacks and light lunches. Hours: 10am- 9pm. Heavenly Sunday Barbeque 11am-3pm, chicken, ribs, fish, italian sausage, salads. Phone 226-3289.
THE PIER LOUNGE- Home of the "World Famous Chicken Drop" every Wednesday. Daily happy hour 4-6. Located beachside in the Spindrift Hotel. Phone 226-2002.

BC's BBQ on Sundays features great ribs....just get there early (if only to reserve some) as they sell out fast.

Have fun...maybe see you in town.

Ross

Thanks Ross! I'll be printing this to bring along. We're going with a group of friends through our dive shop so we didn't pick the hotel or the dive op but they usually do pretty well with who they work through. Just nice to hear what others have to say as well. We'll be flying in on the 15th and heading home on the 22nd so yes we'll be there at the same time. Hope to see you there!

As a 7x returner to Belize (and property owner :p )I can recommend The Reef also for dinner. Its plasic silverware and concret floor hide the incredible food...

As for divers, I can recomend Alonzo Flota, of Under Da Sea, located at El Pescador. I've never had better dives than when I'm with him.

Let me know if you need more info. I was there in June, and will be returning this May...:10:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom