Belize photos, January 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's Reef Restaurant, on Middle Street directly opposite Caramba (and to my mind, much better). Also almost opposite the best ice cream parlour on the island by far - DandE. Main course at Reef Restaurant followed by dessert with Dan and Eileen - now THAT'S quality living!

ScopioScuba
Dived at Ambergris Caye a week and a half ago. The water temperature was 81 degrees F at all depths (surface to approx 100'). People were using everything from "just a swimsuit" to a full 3mm. I hear Peter (Pro Tech) spotted a whale shark just yesterday (picture posted on another site)!

Thanks for the photos Becky! I am departing for AC, Belize on March 15th and I can't wait (especially now after seeing your photos). I've never been. We're staying at the same hotel and diving with Aqua Dives. Any thoughts on either? Also, what type of exposure suit did you wear? I'm not sure of the water temp there but I ususally wear a 3 mil full because I always get cold!
And last but not least, any rec's on great places to eat?

Thanks so much!

Hi Chrissy,
I have all my diving recommendations if you look at the main chatboard for belize, look for my section called "diving recommendations for ambergris caye, belize" withmy name by it. I listed all my favorite places to eat and about how we loved the dive operation at the hotel. It was GREAT! I think our divemaster was DAvid, it is in my recommendations, he made me feel very safe and showed us lots of cool stuff every day. As for exposure suits, everyone laughs at me, but in the Caribbean I freeze in a 3 mil, no matter what. So I always am the only one wearing a 7mil farmer jane (14 mil in the core) but it is what I have to do to keep warm. As I've stated before, I was just there a month ago, so I can answer all of your questions if you have more.....
But my biggest recommendation is do breakfasts at the French Bakery as well as Estel's. Estel's has GREAT food and is on the water, you sit on the deck which is covered in sand and look out at the water while you eat. It is cash-only so take lots of cash on this trip, or you'll have to do what I did & hit the ATM (and fees!) over the week.......HAve a BLAST!!!
Becky

Always bring cards to cover the unexpected, but plan (generously) on cash and US$ travellers' cheques. They (travellers' cheques) are readily exchanged, but don't try to use them directly to make purchases at shops. Hotels & dive/tour shops will take them as payment, and many will give you Bz$ for them.

We've been blown out recently, so a word to the wise. Don't pay up-front for diving or other water-based tours unless you're certain (a written contract) you'll get your money back if the trip doesn't go. There are operators who will keep your money even if they've given you no service. They may offer you a discount for paying up-front, but what use is that if you just lose your money?

PM me if you want more info.

Back
Top Bottom