belize or bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradNC

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for freakishly rich reef systems for my next dive trip. I'm thinking bonaire or belize so far. Any suggestions? Dive operators? All-inclusive type medium priced accomodations?

Guess it depends on what you want. I have not been to Belize but know Bonaire well. Depending on your travel dates, hurricanes may be a concern. Bonaire is below the hurricane belt. It does get some wave action from time to time but so far, never a close call. Most any of the dive ops on Bonaire are fine, same goes with the accomidations. On the water vs off the water makes a big differenc in price but I honestly don't know of a place I would not stay, but all I need is a clean room and a good AC. I would recommend you not get an all inclusive on Bonaire. There are way too many good places to eat to be stuck eating at a resort all the time.

Been to both and would recommend Belize over Bonaire. We have done Belize twice on the Nekton Pilot, once in October and once in November. Bonaire is nice because of the unlimited shore diving but unless you are into macro there isn't a lot of sea life there. Haven't done Belize from shore but from the Nekton it is all wall diving. Some of the most beautiful walls I've ever seen.

Have been to both and really prefer Belize over Bonaire. Like mentioned above, more fish life to see. We have stayed at Blackbird and enjoyed it very much both times. We also plan a few extra days to stay on the mainland, rent a 4 wheel truck and go see Mayan ruins as well as the Belize Zoo (Best zoo I've ever visited and I live near the National Zoo in DC). Going back again in March.

NAIBDiver1

I've been to both and, as a photographer, I prefer Bonaire to Belize. I love the unlimited shore diving sites and the freedom of diving whenever and wherever you want. However, if you're not into macro life you may want to go with Belize. The accommodations in Boniare are all nice and I would agree with not going with an all-inclusive meal plan. I've only done Belize as a live-aboard trip. By the way, my personal opinion is that the Blue Hole is vasly over-rated with not much to see. If you're on a live-aboard so you wake up there it's one thing. However, I'd think twice about taking a several hour boat ride from the mainland just to dive the Blue Hole. Just my 2 cents.

I've been to Belize (stayed at Ambergris Caye) and agree with Debersole that the Blue is not something I'd do again on purpose. Yes it's deep, yes there's some sharks.. but it's more a been there done that dive.

Hol Chan Park at night is AMAZING however, and the wall dives at Lighthouse and Half Moon Caye are certainly wonderful as well. There's no beach to speak of at Ambergris tho, so it's all boat diving.

Can't speak for Caye Caulker -

D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom