Belize or Bay Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonLykins

Reaction score
I am going as a volunteer to Antigua Guatemala on a medical mission and want to extend my stay for a week of diving.

Any thoughts on Belize vs Roatan or Utila?
I have been to Ambergris Cay and Cozumel before.

Was thinking of Glovers Atoll or Turneffe (one of the outer atolls in Belize)
OR
Roatan - Is East or West end better? Anyone stayed at the Inn of Last Resort?

RonLykins:
I am going as a volunteer to Antigua Guatemala on a medical mission and want to extend my stay for a week of diving.

Any thoughts on Belize vs Roatan or Utila?
I have been to Ambergris Cay and Cozumel before.

Was thinking of Glovers Atoll or Turneffe (one of the outer atolls in Belize)
OR
Roatan - Is East or West end better? Anyone stayed at the Inn of Last Resort?
On Roatan, it depends on what you want. Want to stay at a nice all-inclusive resort where you just walk out your door for shore diving, and dive all you want but never leave the resort; or would you prefer to save a bunch of money at a little out of the way place and dive with the locals for about $20 - $25 per dive eating at various different palces along the way.
West End is the cheapest accommodations and my personal preference for the variety of the over all experience. Cocoa View, Anthony's Key, Fantasy Island and several others offer good all-inclusive packages and you can dive as much as you want for one agreed on price from the start.
Either way, the diving in Roatan is fabulous. It doesn't have the strong current of Cozumel and you don't generally see as many larger fish, (at least I didn't) but the soft corals are unbelieveably beautiful and the variety of smaller colorful sea life is fabulous. You won't be disappointed with the diving in Roatan. Might as well go some place you have not visited before.

Well said, Chuck.

Me? I would go to Utila.

See it now, before anyone really destroys the place with its impending success. The diving is about the same price as Roatan. The accomodations can be noticably cheaper!

If you want creature comforts, any of the AI's mentioned on Roatan will be fine. If you want to dive-dive-dive: CCV. There is a West End, but no East per-se. (Yet)

You will find the diving similar to Belize in terms of the types of critters. It's reefs are shaped the same way and it's only 90 miles away.

Lots of possibilities. What's your desire, budget and ...?

I saw this thread and thought I would try to help but Roatan Man and Chuck have both given you good advice.

Roatan Man is correct in saying Utila's impending success, it's already starting I am just so glad that I was and still am on Utila to see one of the last islands in the caribbean before the tourist boom hits

Thanks all for the input.
I am leaning toward Utila if I can make the travel dates and times work.

RoatanMan:
Well said, Chuck.

Me? I would go to Utila.

See it now, before anyone really destroys the place with its impending success. The diving is about the same price as Roatan. The accomodations can be noticably cheaper!

Shhhhhhhsss....:D

Glover's Atoll is AMAZING and there are 3 or 4 lodges there, including a budget one: www.glovers.com.bz - Glover's Atoll Resort. It's VERY rustic (no elec or running water) but paradise for us. I'm heading to Utila and Roatán this summer but can't compare yet. Glover's would be much harder to get to than the Bay Islands from Antigua, though. You can fly to them through San Pedro Sula and La Ceiba or bus straight through to La Ceiba and ferry or fly across. Glover's would require much more time on a bus and even if you fly to Belize City and hop a flight to Dangriga you still have a a long taxi ride to get to Sittee River where the GAR boats take off for the 40 mile trip out.

The bottom line is - you can't go wrong! Please let us know what you decide and how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom