Belize?...Nekton Rorqual or Sun Dancer II???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for a mid-Novembers trip and I'm thinking of Belize...

I've been on the Rorqual when it was in the Bahamas and thought it was a fine boat and I had a great time.

I have not been on any Peter Hughes boats.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback from someone that has been on both to help me decide.

Thanks much,

Jeff

While I have spent many months on a couple of Peter Hughes boats in PNG, I have never been on any of his Caribbean boats. Since they are all operated with a lot of independance, I can offer no advise there. I can say that I have had incredible service on P.H. boats I have been on. I suspect that you couldn't lose either way you go.

BTW, I heard the Nekton was very crowded and a friend said that she felt that they wanted to "babysit" everyone. This lady was an instructor with 30+ years of diving.
This is hearsay only.....

We heard similar concerns about crowding on the Nekton, so opted for PH...for Feb 05 -- sorry no help yet, but if you pick PH lets us know how it turned out.

TIA

Haven't done the Nekton but we did the SDII in Belize, great trip and loved the boat. My impression (obviously not first hand) is that both are good boats but the SDII is more luxurious.

The itineraries may also vary, PH does mostly the Lighthouse/Turneffe run, while Nekton at least sometimes does a more southerly trip that includes Glover's. I thought I read that the Nekton doesn't do the blue hole because it's too big to get in, I do not know if that is true but that may be a reason to chose it or not depending on what you want to do. (Doing the blue hole from SDII we gave up a couple other dives that day, and no choice in the matter.)

I have been on the Wave Dancer before the hurricane sunk it. It was a very good operation. The Aggressor fleet also has a boat in Belize. I am sure it is just a nice. I have been on the Cayman Aggressor and still remains one of my most favorite trips. A livaboard is a great way to see Belize.

JRO:
Looking for a mid-Novembers trip and I'm thinking of Belize...

I've been on the Rorqual when it was in the Bahamas and thought it was a fine boat and I had a great time.

I have not been on any Peter Hughes boats.

I guess I'm looking for some feedback from someone that has been on both to help me decide.

Thanks much,

Jeff

Jeff, I think you know the real story in the posts that mention 'overcrowding' on the Nekton. As you know, for the first dive, it is crowded. After that, divers tend to vary their entry times. If you have to be the first one down when the breifing is over... or if you can wait 4.78 minutes... a world of difference.

I have been aboard pretty much so every dive boat in the Caribbean, if not as a diver guest, then just for a real hard look-see. When my SO wanted to go live-aboard, without question, I took her aboard the Nekton.

In the Belizian route, she does not make the Blue Hole dive. I have always considered this to be a 'log book dive' and not of much real worth. I also always found that the excessive recreational depths at this extremely remote location are a dubious pursuit in terms of viable rescue- if need be.

I have done maybe 6 trips on the Nektons, and would gladly go again. I will go on other vessels if they service unique dive opportunities (ie: Cisne, Los Roques, Grenada). These may go to islands that have some land based ops, but are not servicing areas that are of real interest, Grenada being the best example, as the short lived dive boat served the exciting cays off the North East (versus the SOS day dive ops on the SW end). Conversely, I see no need to go live aboard on Tobago- the day dive ops are great! I make the same argument for the Galapagos at http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

Belize, to be fully seen, must be done by live aboard. To date, I don't believe that any Nekton has flipped over, much less at anchor.

I like 'em. And, no, they're not crowded on the dive deck.

RoatanMan:
Conversely, I see no need to go live aboard on Tobago- the day dive ops are great! I make the same argument for the Galapagos at http://www.geocities.com/johnofrancis/galapagos.htm

You make an argument not to go on a liveaboard in Galapagos!??!?
Seeing as it is about a 15 hour ride up to Wolf/Darwin on a liveaboard how on earth will you do so on a day boat?
Sure the marine life around the southern islands is ok but it is nothing to compare to the thousands of schooling hammerheads and the whale sharks up north. I saw 13 whale sharks in three days.
If you spend the time and money to go all the way to the Galapagos then a liveaboard is a must or your time has been wasted.

I agree the comment about the Wave Dancer is rather cold and unnecessary!

Mike Veitch:
I agree the comment about the Wave Dancer is rather cold and unnecessary!

I stated a fact about the Wave Dancer, maybe not everyone knows that it is no longer there.

parrotheaddiver:
I stated a fact about the Wave Dancer, maybe not everyone knows that it is no longer there.
Sorry Parrothead, you misunderstand me i am not talking about you.
I am talking about Roatan Man's comment about the flipping over and sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom