Belize Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are they more entitled to their opinions than I?

================================

They're not, of course. But a recommendation for/against a dive operator or liveaboard would seem to be more relevant or credible if a person actually had dove with them before.

I accept and respect your decision and preference in terms of diving. But from personal experience I would have to say that your comments regarding the Nekton boats/operation were somewhat unqualified.

raviepoo - also "heard that they monopolize moorings put in by other operators" is hearsay i.e. not particularly reliable and I seriously doubt that it is true. Each of the boats moors to a single site for two dives and perhaps a night dive and then moves to another site - many times we were diving within sight of both PH and A boats arriving when they were already tied up - they are faster after all - with others tied to mooring bouys beyond them. This does not ring true to me. Needs something more to back it up to be credible.

You are absolutley entitled to your opinion, and I can see how the PH and A boats are more attractive for some. But from personal experience I would give the Nekton boats an A+ rating. If you want the "Yacht" feel and the "luxurious touches" by all means go with them, the trip will be great and you will get those things - you won't get them on a Nekton boat. Otherwise you get exactly the same thing on a much more stable boat (which is really important for some of us), the same great service, more space to play in, not as good food for less $ on a boat that was designed for diving not a retrofitted yacht, but is really really ugly on the outside. (looks like a oil drilling platform at first glance)

a retrofitted yacht
Is this true? I know the Palau Aggressor was purpose-built for diving. The Belize Aggressor doesn't look much different.

Is this true? I know the Palau Aggressor was purpose-built for diving. The Belize Aggressor doesn't look much different.
Perhaps purpose built on a yacht hull - looks like any one of the yachts I see in the water here with some mods for a dive deck etc - as opposed to designed to dive from the ground up. Not to make a big thing out of it - the yacht hull has advantages - speed being the big one. As someone who is subject to seasickness I really appreciate the stability.

raviepoo - also "heard that they monopolize moorings put in by other operators" is hearsay i.e. not particularly reliable and I seriously doubt that it is true. Each of the boats moors to a single site for two dives and perhaps a night dive and then moves to another site - many times we were diving within sight of both PH and A boats arriving when they were already tied up - they are faster after all - with others tied to mooring bouys beyond them. This does not ring true to me. Needs something more to back it up to be credible.

My source is absolutely reliable but it would not be a breach of trust to reveal it here.

Oh you are relentless, aren't you?

I said that I would not dive with them. Why are you putting words in my mouth that I did not say? Do you work for Nekton?

The Nekton boats (thier physical setup, their passenger capacity, their advertising) appeal to a specific type of diver. I'm not one of them. That's all I said. And yet you accuse me of saying, "Nekton is inferior."

I don't want to clutter up someone else's thread with an argument. But really, why don't you just learn some reading comprehension and drop ithis instead of accusing me of saying things I never said? Can we drop this please?

Why are they more entitled to their opinions than I?

================================

They're not, of course. But a recommendation for/against a dive operator or liveaboard would seem to be more relevant or credible if a person actually had dove with them before.

I accept and respect your decision and preference in terms of diving. But from personal experience I would have to say that your comments regarding the Nekton boats/operation were somewhat unqualified.

raviepoo;[COLOR="Purple":
The Nekton boats (thier physical setup, their passenger capacity, their advertising) appeal to a specific type of diver.[/COLOR] ]

So raviepoo - now you've piqued my interest. Just what "kind of diver" do these Nekton boats appeal to......?

The kind that easily get seasick?

The kind that easily get seasick?
not true at all. I found that the people who book on the Nekton tend to be people who aren't interested in "fancy", just want to dive dive dive. We did the Cay Sal trip in June 06 and found only 2 people using patches for seasickness, 2 people taking ginger just in case, and everyone else commenting on how nice it was not to worry about rocking boat regardless. About half the people told us that it wasn't their first Nekton trip and wouldn't be their last - they absolutely love the Nekton for various reasons. One group of 8 divers were from Ohio and they said they do the Nekton 1-2 times a year and do some other liveaboard in Pacific in between. They dive all over the world but still love the Nekton.

One guy (married to non-diver & in his 50s) on our trip commented to us that he had done the Aggressor T&C and had a horrible time and would never go back. He said the boat was cramped and his room was small, where his single room on Nekton was big and comfy. He also said as a single traveler he wasn't made to feel part of the group on the Aggressor where the Nekton divers all made him feel welcome and everyone was friendly. Maybe it was just that group on that trip, but honestly we found the atmosphere on the Nekton is so wonderful and everyone got along so well after only one day the crew had no idea who was traveling with whom. He said he was sold on the Nekton especially as a single-diver. (We had 5 men on the trip who were traveling alone, each got their own room as there was enough space, and they all teamed up to dive together and had a blast!)

In fact, everyone got along so well that one crew member said he was sure we were with the group of 4 divers from Fla - we told him no we just met them on the boat. Another crew member asked us if we were with the group of 4 from AZ - once again we said no we just met on the boat. I think we hung out with everyone on the boat and got to know everyone. So yes, there are more divers, we had 24 I think, but never felt crowded - just more people to chat with and fight over who gets to sit with whom at dinner!

we don't work for Nekton either but we are planning another trip with them and this time taking a group of friends!

robint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom