Belize Liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even though the Nekton boats take more divers, we rarely saw another diver while underwater in Belize. The diving is mostly wall diving and navigation was super easy. We would plan a depth, drop down the wall to that depth, head either left or right working our way up the wall until our turn around pressure, then head back toward the boat on the top of the wall/reef. For the second dive, we'd simply go the other way. There were so many choices on where to snoop and explore that we rarely saw another diver.

Having done 2 Nekton trips and no other liveaboards I also agree on the choice of Nekton for a Belize liveaboard.

When we did the Belize Nekton trip we would often see the Peter Hughes and Aggressor boats, so no matter which liveaboard you pick you will end up diving the same great areas.

I do want to mention that one of my fellow travelers on the Belize trip had dove on another liveaboard (Aggressor?) and commented about how sick he'd been in rough seas, whereas this was never a problem on the Nekton.

While I'm sure from other reader comments in many other SB posts that most of the other liveaboards offer first rate operations, there really are some significant differences between the Nekton operation and every other liveaboard that you'll have to consider:

Nekton: Most stable (non-vomit) boat out there, plentiful good food, never feels crowded, good (nothing fancy) cabins, great and super competent crew, bring-your-own liquor, economical. (Based on personal experience).

Peter Hughes and Aggressor: Less stable (more vomit) monohull design, gourmet food, probably feels a bit more crowded, nicer cabins, also excellent crew, they supply liquor, more expensive. (All this is based on what I've heard).

So just to let you know that I'm not some shill for Nekton, I'm seriously considering doing the Cuan Law liveaboard in the BVIs. but only because the BVIs are not on of Nekton's itineraries. And when I get to Australia one of these days, I'll probably be on a Mike Ball boat. But in this part of the world I'm diving Nekton whenever possible.

ECPaul:
But in this part of the world I'm diving Nekton whenever possible.

ditto ditto ditto........ if I have a choice of Nekton or ANY other boat, we will pick the Nekton. We loved that roomy top deck and sitting out there chatting with other dives during our SI or hanging out after dinner watching the sunset. I can't imagine being on PH or Aggressor boats and feeling as uncramped and free as you do on the Nekton. I don't like closed in spaces and though I don't get seasick I prefer the Nekton style of boat for comfort. I don't want to be around other dives who are hanging over the rail heaving. Sure the Nekton will rock some in bad weather, but nothing like a monohull boat.
Another reason, we don't need gourmet food on a dive trip, we want hearty filling home cooking. Nekton. We don't need wood paneling in our room and fancy dining rooms with wine at dinner. We want to be able to walk around up on deck or in the dining area in our swimsuits without having to change clothes for dinner each day. Nekton.

I don't work for Nekton....Just my 2 cents.

robin

About Nekton. Anybody knows their policy towards rebreathers?
Do they have pure O2 on the board?
rgrds
tomek

Thanks for the feedback...it is appreciated and it would appear that she will join me and sit and read when I am not diving and I, in turn, will try to spend non diving time with her.

That brings up another question re Nekton....central or southern itinerary? Best dives for advanced divers?

rzep - I don't believe they allow rebreathers at all.

rossandmaureen:
That brings up another question re Nekton....central or southern itinerary? Best dives for advanced divers?
I have been told they are equally good but the southern may be slightly better as less day dive boats can get there so more pristine. But I was also told that even though it says Southern route, the capt may opt to do the central area instead depending on weather conditions... and the Capt always decides for the best of the entire group and safety of the boat. So with that said, book the southern if you want but don't be PO'ed if you do mostly central, its all good.

robint

I dove with Nekton last January and actually had the exact same question as you did... what's the difference between the two itineraries? We did the "Southern", and from what I understand, the itinerary listed makes very little difference in what sites you dive. Captain Ephey (who has been doing this for years and is an A+ in my book) will take you to whichever sites are going to have the best diving, and that can change from day to day based on the weather and currents. Regardless of which sites you're itinerary includes, they will all be fantastic, and you'll have a great time.

I too am planning a liveaboard before the end of the year. I have read every post I can find to compare. One thing I would like to comfirm--do you really have to change clothes for dinner for the Aggressor? Is it that formal? Also, it appears that the Nekton 'opens the dive deck' and you to dive w/your buddy when you're ready/want to. Is the Aggressor process similar, or is it more orchestrated?

One thing I would like to comfirm--do you really have to change clothes for dinner for the Aggressor? Is it that formal?
no, I'm guessing the person who posted that is just assuming and hasn't been on one? Just because they may offer wine with dinner and have a rep for more gourmet food, you can eat it in your bathrobe for all they care. Bathing suits and t-shirts is what people generally wear. The only clothing related thing they ask, as on all the liveaboards I've been on so far, is that you don't go inside in your wetsuit. (Which does not seem like a bad thing to me, better than sitting in someones puddle when you're dry and smells much better for everyone. :wink: )
Also, it appears that the Nekton 'opens the dive deck' and you to dive w/your buddy when you're ready/want to. Is the Aggressor process similar, or is it more orchestrated?
The couple Aggressors I've been on do dives at set times and it works fine, I think they're all that way but not sure. (I actually kind of like it, without a set time I might be too freakin' lazy to interrupt my nap.) With more people potentially on the Nekton, staggering the times makes more sense.

The Belize Aggressor just "opens the dive deck" also. The logistics of meals, surface intervals, and the twice-daily move of the boat tend to force a schedule on you though, if you want to get 4 or 5 dives a day in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom