Belize in Sept.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalRich

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yippie, Headed to Belize first week of Sept. All inclusive at St George's Caye. Aside from diving we will be doing some land based activities. Looking for bug repellent advise? When I go to a tropical location , I get eatin alive!!
THx
SoCalRich

What you may need will vary depending on what your land-based activities are. I visited the Belize Zoo and did the cave tubing tour and I didn't wear anything. When I went to Lamanai, I believe I wore Off. If you are concerned, then anything with DEET should be fine. I've tried the non-DEET alternatives and none of them worked on me.

The cayes have a different sand fly than the mainland. White wing. They leave a red spot with a blood dot in the middle. I get used to the mainland ones but when I go to the cayes, I start from scratch again.

Yes! I've had good luck with the Sawyer Picardin stuff, though I got the pump spray version. I've tried a few lately and it works better than like 5 other things I have at the moment. (But that's hiking in the woods around me, not with the beasties in Belize.)

I just threw some Sawer Picardin in the Amazon cart. I'm headed to Belize the first 2 weeks in Sept too. And the sand flies think I'm tastier than queso blanco. Fingers crossed that it works.

Thank You everyone for your advise.
Next Question: "The Blue Hole". Is it worth the 2 hr. boat ride from St. George's Caye?

Thank You everyone for your advise.
Next Question: "The Blue Hole". Is it worth the 2 hr. boat ride from St. George's Caye?
You could probably start a stand alone thread on this topic. :popcorn: I'm about to make my 3rd trip to Belize and still don't have Blue Hole on my agenda. My gut instinct is that it would be an overcrowded site with not much to see. I would also like to hear what people who made the dive thought.

I've been to the Blue Hole twice. The first time to see what the fuss is about and the second time because it was part of a trip that included two very nice dives off Half Moon Caye, which also has a very nice bird sanctuary.
The Blue Hole dive goes to 130 feet. You see stalactites. I didn't see any wildlife, and because of the depth didn't spend much time down there.

The pictures you see of the Blue Hole from the air are beautiful. When sitting on a boat in the Blue Hole, not much to see.

IMO, Blue Hole not worth it unless the trip includes the two dives off Half Moon. If you go, take a good dive light.

Ha ha. We used to have some royal battles here over the "Is the Blue Hole worth it?" question.

I've done it three times and am firmly in the "yes it's worth it at least once" camp for two reasons. First, it's a unique dive and if you get lucky you'll also see some hammerhead sharks fairly close and personal. Second, it's just the first dive of a great day of diving.

The BH dive really isn't all that exciting. As noted above, you can't see it from the surface like you can from the air. It just looks like the rest of the ocean. You dive down to the lip, about 50 feet, gather your group together and over the lip you go. You go through a, um, whatchamacallit when the vision gets blurry for a few seconds and quickly make your way down to 130. You hang out for about five minutes, looking for hammerheads and at the big stalactites, then it's time to ascend. Hang out at the lip again for stop number one, then at fifteen feet for stop number two, and then it's over. Your dive op should look after you like a mama bear.

If it was the one and only dive of the day then I'd change my thinking. But you'll spend two surface intervals and lunch at Half Moon Caye, which is God's gift to man to those who make the trip. And the diving around Half Moon is the best Belize has to offer.

I was staying on the Turneffe Atoll the three times that I made the trip so it was only about an hour each way. Each time, some of the divers sat out the BH. Some had done it before and didn't think it was worth getting wet again. Others were relatively new and/or just weren't comfortable doing that dive. So that is an option if you think you'd like to make the trip. These days I dive out of Placencia and if my dive op ever goes to the BH while I'm there, I'd go in a heartbeat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom