Belize in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danieladamsmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there, we are planning a trip to Belize for the first two weeks of March. Any tips?
It looks like Caye Caulker is where we want to use as a base. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey there, we are planning a trip to Belize for the first two weeks of March. Any tips?
It looks like Caye Caulker is where we want to use as a base. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I was in Caye Caulker back in May stayed at Iguana Reef Inn which I highly recommend dove with Frenchies which was pretty good. the diving was good it was better on the trips to the outer atolls.
greg

Well I definitely suggest you go to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. Definitely one of the hot spots of Belize. I am guessing you will be diving the blue hole, but you may want to also visit a little more south to Placencia. My company markets international real estate and we have offices in San Pedro and developments all over the country so I visit often and would highly recommend these areas. Have fun!

Caye Caulker is very quite. It has several good places to eat and drink, but no real party scene. It was nice to walk at night and not be attacked by timeshare folks and tour operators.

I too would recommend Frenchies and the Outer Atolls. Long boat rides, but worth it.

Caye Caulker is a wonderful choice. It is very small and is not noisely and active like certain parts of San Pedro Town. This is a place since everything is in walk-able proximity. The beach is very nice and crystal-clear waters surround most of the waters. For a hotel choice you should consider Auxillou Beach Suites and also recommend Frenchies as a dive operator. Note that the Blue Hole trip is a must in all circumstances. You will enjoy it all.

Thank you for the info....

When people say long boat rides to the outer atolls...what do you mean? Hour/s

yes hours, like 3 hours Ambergris to Lighthouse. This is typically a 3 tank all day thing with lunch, leave early am, get back towards evening.

If you don't care about a party scene, you should check out Turneffe Island Lodge. It is much closer to the best dive sites. The best dive I did while I was there were right out front.
The diving off of Amberguis is good, but, doesn't compare to the Turneffe area. Even the southern barrier reef didn't compare.
Amberguis is a fun spot, though. Great restaurants and nightlife. Very convenient diving. You can still do the long range trip if you want. I really enjoyed the long boat trips out of Amberguis.
Especially when you pass throught the mangroves.
Enjoy, and don't forget to check out the interior while you are there.

If you don't care about a party scene, you should check out Turneffe Island Lodge. It is much closer to the best dive sites. The best dive I did while I was there were right out front.

I spent a week at Turneffe Island Lodge in April 2005. I went on my own and had a great week. The island wasn't completely full -- about half of the guests were divers, a quarter fisherman, the remaining quarter snorkellers and/or partners of the fishing and diving types.

It's a nice compromise between a land-based holiday and a liveaboard. I had not done a liveaboard when I did this trip.

All of the dive sites are a 5-10 minute boat ride from the island. These are some of the best dive sites in Belize. Our 1st dive of the day was always the Elbow which is a well known site in Belize. I saw my first hammerhead there on the last day.

You set up your kit at the dive center the first day and then the guides change over tanks and have your stuff on the boat for every dive. You can do three dives a day (verusus 4-5 on some liveaboards) two before lunch and an afternoon dive. One day the afternoon dive is replaced with a night dive. One day per week the whole island goes to the Blue Hole and Lighthouse Reef. They have the time on the island set an hour ahead of the mainland so they arrive before any of the day boats. We were the first in the water and many of the other boars were just getting in as we were doing our safety stop. Aside from the Blue Hole day, most dives were fantastic and relaxing drift dives.

At the time I was there the dive guides were local Belizean guys and were excellent. The managers tend to be international types -- they tend to do the courses and the first check-out dives. All of the above were great -- competent divers and friendly on land.

The basic rooms are nice and comfortable, but I would recommend that couples splurge for one of the cabanas. The staff leave tea or coffee for you on your balcony/patio early in the morning -- not a wake-up call per se, but a very civilized way to start the day.

Lots of hammocks and shade for reading books or chilling out. A swimming pool as well. Just watch out for the falling coconuts.

The 'kitchen ladies' outdid themselves at every meal. All breads are made from scratch. The only complaint I had on food was that some of the lunches were pretty heavy (think seafood alfreddo) considering we were diving not long afterwards. I just asked them to leave sauces on the side. Another guest had pretty severe diet restrictions and the staff seemed to accomodate them with no problems. There are fresh baked cookies each day. Drinks (including sodas) are extra but everything else was included.

If I go back to Belize it would be hard for me to choose a liveaboard or other land based option due to the quality of the dive sites we visited each day. I'd go back in a minute.

I would never go back to Caye Caulker if you gave me a free trip. Ambergris was good a few years ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom