Belize for Divaholics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A friend and I just scored frequent flyer reward tickets to Belize for May 10-17 and need some recommendations on where to stay and who to dive with.

About us:
We are dive addicts. We have been on blackbeards and been to the cocoview and done every allowed dive. We are 3-5 dive a day guys. If a trip only gives 2 dives, we pass on it. We go on dive trips.... to dive. We've done little cayman and cozumel as well but only on 3 dive a day packages.

With this taken into consideration, the first thing I noticed is that there is a Peter Hughes and an Aggressor in that region. However, with tips and fees they will wind up costing about 100USD per dive if we get 25 dives total.

Is there a land based Belize equivalent of the CocoView maybe we're missing?

Any recommendations?

Belize isn't a shore diving place, so no Cocoview type places. To get in a bunch of dives, by the time you get done paying for boat dives, lodging and food, a liveaboard might still be a better bet.

We are dive addicts. We have been on blackbeards and been to the cocoview and done every allowed dive. We are 3-5 dive a day guys. If a trip only gives 2 dives, we pass on it. We go on dive trips.... to dive.

With this taken into consideration, the first thing I noticed is that there is a Peter Hughes and an Aggressor in that region. However, with tips and fees they will wind up costing about 100USD per dive if we get 25 dives total.

Is there a land based Belize equivalent of the CocoView maybe we're missing?

Any recommendations?

You're describing me and my dive buddies pretty well. There aren't many out there like CoCoView, and you may well have to ante-up. Buy the best: Nekton. You should dive Belize... and Nekton is the way to do it.

When we do 2am/1pm 3 dive/day packages, in the past its been places like Little Cayman beach resort. Also, when we do cozumel we usually can find 3 dives a day.

So land based with 3 dives is okay if its a great value and the chow is good.

You can dive three times a day on Ambergris. Pick anyplace you want to stay and have Protech pick you up. 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Peter runs a great shop and once they have a comfort level with you will let you dive your profile. If you want to dive the atolls and can swing it, I'd say Turneffe Lodge (amazing) or Slickrock Belize! Belize Vacations and Belize Travel: Slickrock Adventures' Private Island at Glover's Reef, much more rustic than Turneffe (no electricity except in the dining area, rainwater showers, etc), but equally amazing diving. I've been to all three and each are stunning. Have fun.

Turneffe lsland Lodge will get you your 4 dives a day but it's not cheap. If I remember correctly, the cost is roughly equivalent to the Aggressor, but there are cheaper accommodation options than the private cabana that I chose. It might be worth checking out.

Is May 10-17 still whale shark season? And wheres the best place to stay to see them? Ambergris, Turneffe, Glover?

Is May 10-17 still whale shark season? And wheres the best place to stay to see them? Ambergris, Turneffe, Glover?
The whale sharks are found near Gladden Spit. Various ops do trips from from Placencia or Glovers. The timing is 3 days before and 7-10 days after the full moons March-June. 5/20/2008 is a full moon, dates given for best chances when they run the trips are 5/17-31. So looks like you just miss it.

There's all sorts of rules and permits the ops need to do the whale shark dives, and a lottery to get time slots, so it's not quite a casual thing where anyone goes anytime.

Seahorse in Placentia the best bet for seeing Whalesharks. Dunno when the full moon is in May but best sightings a few days before and after the full moon.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom