Belize City or Ambergris Caye?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderwaterBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going crazy trying to figure out where to stay for 3 nights. We are going on the Nekton Pilot for a week and decided to spend 3 nights prior on land. I think I want to stay on Ambergris Caye because I want the white sand beach, relaxation and to explore San Pedro...However, would like to keep the room rates below $200 a night but don't want to stay in a dump.

Would love a beach front room/cabana, sandy beach, nice hammocks (love how Mata Chica looks $$$)... I've been looking at a lot of places but just don't know what to do. We probably won't be diving since we'll be on the Nekton, might want to snorkel or do some other excursions...

Or should we just stay in Belize City??? :confused:

Check out Ambergris Caye.com tons of info on lodging and san pedro. I definatly would not stay in belize city if you can help it. You could also go snorkle/dive/night dive at hol chan one day.

I'm going crazy trying to figure out where to stay for 3 nights. We are going on the Nekton Pilot for a week and decided to spend 3 nights prior on land. I think I want to stay on Ambergris Caye because I want the white sand beach, relaxation and to explore San Pedro...However, would like to keep the room rates below $200 a night but don't want to stay in a dump.

Would love a beach front room/cabana, sandy beach, nice hammocks (love how Mata Chica looks $$$)... I've been looking at a lot of places but just don't know what to do. We probably won't be diving since we'll be on the Nekton, might want to snorkel or do some other excursions...

Or should we just stay in Belize City??? :confused:

personally, I would opt for staying on the Mainland and visiting the Mayan ruins for a couple of days! You will have plenty of sun and relaxing on your surface intervals on the Nekton.:D

robin

Yes, but not in Belize City. Best go inland to Cayo (eg. San Ignacio).

But if you do want to stay on AC, then unless it's peak season (you don't say when this is to be, and it makes a big difference) you certainly don't need to pay anything like $200. Depending what you define as a "dump", of course. Do what Jeff says and look at Belize Lodging Guide, Resorts, Hotels, Accommodations, Reservations, Rooms in Belize.

We are going a couple weeks before Christmas and apparently it depends on the hotel if they consider that high or low season. Most rates seem to consider it low season, most of the places I looked at are around $165 to over $200 a night. I think I've decided on White Sands Cove though since their rate should be less than $200 and they have an tons of excellent reviews on tripadvisor.

Since we'll be on the Nekton Pilot for a week we won't do any diving while on Ambergris Caye but I do want to do the snorkel trip to Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley. We'll have almost 3 fulls days. Any other suggestions for fun things to do or not to be missed? We are staying one day after the Nekton in Belize City and may do a ruin tour that day so I have that covered. Is the Zoo worth the visit or Jaguar sanctuary, Manatee viewing?

Also since you are in San Pedro, some reviews I read said you couldn't walk (some said you could) from White Sands Cove to San Pedro. I think it's about 2 miles? It sounds like most hotels have water taxis to town? I know you can rent bikes and golf carts (which sounds fun but I saw a rate of $50 for a day which is pricey).

Thanks for the info!

I would do the zoo on the last day. It is small, but worth the trip. Have been twice.

Would not stay in Belize City - go to Ambergrise - or Placencia - you will be dissappointed if you stay in the City.

UBB - you can walk from White Sands to San Pedro. A pleasant walk along the beach for much of the way and yes, around 2 miles. You can rent golf carts, scooters/off-road motorbikes or push bikes. You'll find the dive shop at White Sands will do the snorkel trip to Hol Chan as well as a perhaps more attractive one to Mexico Rocks, plus any local dive trips you want.

Don't know about the price of golf cart rental as I've never rented one. Why don't you register on the forum at Belize Vacations, Maps, Real Estate, Resorts, News, Hotels, Travels, Flights, Weather, Tours and ask there?

I just got back from AC yesterday. Don't stay at Journey's End if you want to do anything. It it about 15 min by boat to town, for $7. The dive shop at Journey's End is at best scary and rates are made up as they go. Do stay in San Pedro, lots to do, cheap good food. Do use Ecologic Divers, top notch operation, only in business for one year, all gear is new, boats are refurbished. DM's are great, friendly and helpful. First class service with gear, they will wash and store for you, as well as set up for the next day. They also will take photos and give a CD when done. Rates are reasonable too.

There are several hotels on the beach next to the dive operations that are reported to have good rates.

The beaches are pretty trashy now since Dean, there is a lot of damage to some businesses, but there is plenty to do. But if you want to do anything other than dive, don't stay on the island.

Enjoy

Danny

Having been to Belize City, there's no way I would spend the night there. I'd feel more comfprtable spending the night in downtown Detroit.

I would go inland, but, not to Belize city. San Ignacio area is very nice. Good jumpoff for inland tours. I don't recall the beaches in A.C, being all that nice. I do recall the inland stuff in Belize being the highlight of my trip. The cave tours are amazing . A side trip to Tikal is also worth while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom