Believe..........Frog fish!! They do exist!!! WWGUY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, wasn't it on Bachelor's earlier this year that there was a bait ball and allegedly fishermen came and netted them? Its a shame, but I agree that pinpointing the location is not a good idea... Real shame since pretty much everything looks like a frogfish to me down there! And when I do see a real one I don't believe it :wink:

Happy New Year everyone! This morning we dove Aquarius and enjoyed an interlude with a 6' free-swimming green moray eel. This afternoon we enjoyed the encounters below at Bari. Water temps and viz are still low. Based on our previous Christmas holidays here, and on conversation with local friends, the winds have been persistently higher than normal since we arrived on the 19th. All-in-all though we're having a fantabulous time.

Again, sorry for the poor GoPro photo quality.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoyed reading this post and totally agree with not sharing 'locals' addresses! We dive in Bonaire every year and thoroughly enjoy it. The best bit of diving there is that nothing is guaranteed, so when you see that Frog Fish or Manta Ray is exciting beyond words!!! Looking forward to being back out there in the not too distant future, enjoy your trip and say hello to the Froggies :wink:

The quality looks good to me Roger, but either you are holding out are getting lazy. Where are the videos? :)

Happy New Year everyone! This morning we dove Aquarius and enjoyed an interlude with a 6' free-swimming green moray eel. This afternoon we enjoyed the encounters below at Bari. Water temps and viz are still low. Based on our previous Christmas holidays here, and on conversation with local friends, the winds have been persistently higher than normal since we arrived on the 19th. All-in-all though we're having a fantabulous time.

Again, sorry for the poor GoPro photo quality.

View attachment 221865

View attachment 221866

Reactions: gbf
The quality looks good to me Roger, but either you are holding out are getting lazy. Where are the videos? :)

Ha ha (because I don't do LOL), I have to plead guilty on both counts. I'm traveling with a tablet PC that's not powerful enough to run the video editing software and I'm too vain to share unedited content. So I'll have to beg your forgiveness and patience for another week or so until we return home.

And then there are those pesky sundowner happy hours too..

Happy New Year everyone! This morning we dove Aquarius and enjoyed an interlude with a 6' free-swimming green moray eel.

Happy New Year! Been here since 12/29, and I have seen 4 different free-swimming green morays during 3 dives, way above average for me, and all during the day. Must be something in the water.😉

Not sure that broadcasting exact coordinates for frogfish, seahorses etc is a great idea. Those animals will be overwhelmed by divers shooting multiple flash pictures and also inadvertently destroying their habitat. I know the DMs tend to know where frogfish and sea horses tend to be on a particular site but they limit the amount of exposure each diver in their group gets to the critter and also monitor buoyancy and touching. If you find an interesting creature on the reef, kudos to you; but please do not let every potential diver on Bonaire where to go hunting.

Anyone else agree with me?
I think it is hard to know what is good or bad for the fish, assuming that there is no physical assault on the fish or its habitat. There was a seahorse at Bari/Front Porch, right out in front of the old hotel foundation, for weeks last winter. Everyone could and did see it on a lone soft coral in the midst of sand, or on a nearby steel cable on the sand. Many, many, many photos and the lonesome guy just kept hanging out. Maybe he liked all the attention.

there is no physical assault on the fish or its habitat.

And herein lies the problem. I don't know whether critters care whether they get viewed/photographed or not. But too often I've seen "Hurricane Diver" strike and leave a swirling mist of sponge parts when they finish looking/photographing.

See wwguy's before/after images of the sponges near which the green frogfish hung out.

Some people I will give explicit and exact directions. Others I will purposely mis-direct.

Most times I just keep my mouth shut, or eat something - filling your mouth with potato chips precludes the need to say anything.

This assumes I ever find creatures that others might be interested in.

Reactions: mbs
Just popped in to the villa for some potato chips and fresh batteries after a leisurely 75 minute dive on Something Special this morning. Had the good fortune to stumble across these two little guys at opposite ends of our dive.

Froggie_02.jpg

Froggie_03.jpg

If interested the post Brad mentioned, which I made last year after diving the same site, can be found here.

Gotta run for now. The pool is open and my diving days here are numbered...

Back
Top Bottom