Being THAT person

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yo senseiern, u da man:). Bravo for coming to SB and want to learn more about diving . Been there, done that with all of your issues/challenges. All I can say is practice, practice and more practice. And read/learn more from SB.

Matter fact, how about an open invitation to you. I am in Tampa, FL. Nice and warm here. If/when you come down this way, look me up and we can go and dive together. There is a spot here call Spanish Rock, 100 yards off the beach, 20 feet max. Warm water, big old reefs and lots of fishes to see. Plenty of room for enjoyment and pratice. No need for boat ride or anything. And ofcourse, it's cheap with only $8 tank rental, you can dive all day and not break the bank.

This Sat, I am heading to that spot with someone from SB. So send me a line when you are down this neck of the woods.

I was looking at Key West for a month from now, after I get a couple more local dives. Tampa would be just as good...and probably a few dollars savings. I have been watching the news abou tthe oil slick. has it affected the area?

I was looking at Key West for a month from now, after I get a couple more local dives. Tampa would be just as good...and probably a few dollars savings. I have been watching the news abou tthe oil slick. has it affected the area?

Reading this thread with admiration and cheers for you.
I haven't been diving in the Tampa area, but I can tell you that Key West is more about the party than the dives.
There are other great spots in the Keys, though...
But unless you are going to party down, I think you might spend your $$ more wisely - and for more dives! - than you will in Key West.

No offense intended, Key West. I just didn't find my diving there to be on par with some other places. The party, though? Top shelf!

Sen congratulations on diving and your outlook is a good one. Practice makes perfect and dont worry what others think. Its your diving so be happy :)

Buoyancy control in a 7mm wetsuit is difficult in to 10 to 25 foot depth range. If you start ascending, you will ascend quickly as the air bubbles in the wetsuit expand. If you start descending, you will descend quickly as the air bubble compress.

Once you get below 25-35 feet, and the 7mm wetsuit is compressed more, you will find it easier to manage your buoyancy and dial-in your weight.

You are also needing so much weight to sink yourself and all that thick neoprene at the surface that you might be overweighted at depth.

What are your options?

Try carrying a little less weight - you might find it necessary to actually turn vertical and swim downwards to get below the surface. Once you swim deep enough - about 10 feet of so - your wetsuit will compress enough that you'll start sinking without having to swim downwards.

Also, if you're going to wear that much neoprene (7mm or more) try staying a little deeper where your wetsuit will be adequately compressed, and you don't have those large swings in garment buoyancy with changing depth.

Finally, if you need that much neoprene because of the cold, try switching to a drysuit. You'll no longer have to deal with a garment that changes buoyancy with changing depth, like a wetsuit.

I had the fortune of diving with some strange big people with big neoprene, big tanks, big weight and big appetites for air. We were in a 30 ft deep pond like in saspotato's silting photo, it wasn't us that clipped the lip, just doing the exploring, looking at critters thing. I noticed a guy maybe because he was the biggest in the group, but mainly because he wasn't moving. Being the mentoring type and exceptional buddy that I am, I kept watching. There he was, hanging vertcally arms folded unaided at 15 ft without any apparent movement, for over five minutes. Just like that he banked like a helicopter gliding to the exit ladder. Later after we exited without a murmur about psi left, when asked he told me that his reason was that he knew I was watching and it was something I could become proficient at. The dude was wearing a 1/4" semi dry with two layers of neoprene from mid thigh to neck. His BC had a hole in it. Most people can do this if they want.

also try after getting the hood on lifting the seat around the outside of the skirt of your mask allowing the hood to rest on the seat of your mask skirt... had the same problem myself. that fixed mine so give it a try.

When I say I panicked, I don't mean the "OMG! I gotta get to the surface!"-shedding my wieght belt and inflating the BCD asap, kid of panic. I mean, the DM was moving from mask removal and reseat to navigating out 60' and back using the compass, and I felt if I did that without getting to the surface to make sure my mask was set, I may panic on the navigation.

So, I headed to the surface first to get the mask set. I probably could have done the nav, which was the last test without surfacing, but I felt it better to do what I needed to relax before pushing the comfort zone.

I have practiced in a pool quite a bit, removing and reseating the mask, but this was my first time with gloves and a hood, so I was learning as we tested.

Because of the criticisms towards the DM I won't mention his name.

As for getting a card without really being ready, I am well aware of the dangers, and will not go diving on my own...I probably won't do that no matter how good I get...and won't think myself more skilled than I am. The card just allows me to get gear whenever a dive opportunity comes up.

I won't dive with anyone who hasn't had a lot of dives, and will make completely clear that my dive buddy knows I am not pushing myself very much until I get more dives in. I plan on diving with only people who are very experienced until I get comfortable.

I passed the tests. But, I know I am not super-diver.

Rather than trying to make someone online happy by acknowledging how inexperienced I am, those that criticize will just need to wait the two years that most new divers make fatal mistakes, we'll just need to wait and see what happens. I have more skills and a better understanding that 99% of the world's population. I have a greater desire than many divers to get out and dive. And, I have a healthy respect for the underwater world to keep from making dumb moves.

Sounds like you would be a great fit for a dive partner with me. Here in the California kelp forests where I live you don't really have to go deep to have a great dive and one of my most favorite things to do is take new divers and use my light to show them new creatures that they haven't seen before.
IMHO some of my favorite dives have been with people that were so focused on the instructor during their first OW experience that they missed everything around them (much like I did my first time) and were amazed by the sea life that they missed on that first dive.
I really enjoy taking new divers out after they've recieved their OW certification.

senseiern, when I finished my OW dives, I had never successfully done a descent without hanging onto my instructor's BC. I had no buoyancy control, and dove by discreetly pushing myself up off the bottom with one finger. I was incredibly anxious about losing my buddies. I was no super diver.

I kept at it with dogged determination, and I was lucky enough to find an incredibly generous mentor (NW Grateful Diver) who took me under his wing and patiently taught me some things that really helped with my buoyancy control, my descents, and my general diving. Five years later, I'm a pretty decent diver and decent buddy. Don't despair, and don't get defensive. Some of us just take longer to gain skills than others. But do work on your mask issues -- defuse panic. It's important.

If you ever feel like taking a day trip south we have a standing Wednesday dive group at Lake Rawlings. We just dive, dive, and dive some more and help each other improve.

TSandM, I think I have the same kind of mentor in my buddy. Time will tell.

Everyone who extended a dive offer, I plan on gtting to you and diving.

Back
Top Bottom