Beginning Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Papasmurf89

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I was certified a couple months ago and have already done a couple of dives and I'm happy to say that I really enjoy diving. Well, I'm starting to look into buying my own gear and was hoping that you guys could help.

What gear would you recommend I buy? I would like to buy everything except for the tank? Also, how much will all of this stuff cost me? It doesn't have to be top-notch stuff, I just want it to do it's job.

Thanks!

Well, it would help to know where you plan on diving(cold or warm water), what type(wreck, reef, ect)? Do you plan on diving alot? Whats your budget?

Well, it's going to be cold water diving, mostly off the coast of Southern California. I'm going to be diving whatever I can around here, probably open water the most though. I don't really have a set budget. How much would it cost for all of the cheapest gear? I just want an idea of how much I'll be spending.

Thanks.

I'm new to all of this too. I've found a way to buy quality equipment on a budget. The first things I got after my personal equipment, was my regulator and wetsuit. The regs were used but I got them from a local dive shop. (they were what they used for classes.) As it turns out, the set I bought (purely by accident) are setup for cold water diving. Not that I will do any, but its nice to know I can if I want. they are at least 5 years old, but they work well, and I've had them checked out by another shop. As far as a wetsuit and maybe a BC, you may want to look at Triplel.com (Scubal.com) I bought one of their 3mm suits and an very surprised at the fit and quality for the money. You also can do a search on triple-l here and see some discussions.

Its still not cheap as far as equipment, but there are definitely ways of saving money and not putting your life at risk.

Good luck.

Papasmurf89:
Hi,

I was certified a couple months ago and have already done a couple of dives and I'm happy to say that I really enjoy diving. Well, I'm starting to look into buying my own gear and was hoping that you guys could help.

What gear would you recommend I buy? I would like to buy everything except for the tank? Also, how much will all of this stuff cost me? It doesn't have to be top-notch stuff, I just want it to do it's job.

Thanks!

Please take a moment to fill out your profile, it will improve your responses.

First let me say you need to do some homework before buying. Devour these gear forums until you feel like you can start to answer the questions. You will then be on your way to being an educated consumer. I recomend 2 hours a day for 1 month. :11:

For budgetary purposes take a look at http://www.scubatoys.com/ under packages. I think Larry takes another 10% off for SB members. Then read up on dive shop VS online and decide where to do your business. The right local shop can come close on price and offer other benefits.

Try to get away from the "cheapest" mentality. Try shooting for the "correct gear" train of thought. The initial outlay won't be much more and the long term value will be much better.

If at all possible go with gear you got to rent or at least try in a shop pool.

Pete

I think it's most important to get gear that will be reliable, that you are comfortable in, and can operate safely. Make a mental list of the things you like and don't like about the gear you have rented. Do you plan to travel and will it travel well? Also consider how easy it is to get service on your choice of equipment when (if) you travel (one reason I choose Scubapro regulators), how easy it is to get batteries and can you replace them yourself (if so inclined). If you buy the right gear, it will last for a very long time. Personally, price is not a major factor when purchasing life support or safety equipment. If diving here in SoCal, do you plan to dive with a dry suit or wet suit? That can make a difference too.

Have you made decisions about air integrated vs. non for your computer? Are you going to go with a traditional octo, an Air II on the BC, or both?

Good luck and have a great time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom