Beginning Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaTrent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got a quote for some begining equipment. I would like some fee back on it.

* Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus, Yellow
Oceanic Ocean Pro BCD, Black
Oceanic Alpha 8 SP5 Piston Regulator, Black
Oceanic VEO 1.0 Air/Nitrox Dive Computer SWIV Double Gauge Combo

$691.00.

It is perfectly functional, it is cheap. Buy it, dive it a lot, in two years sell it on eBay and buy different gear.

* Oceanic Alpha 8 Octopus, Yellow
Oceanic Ocean Pro BCD, Black
Oceanic Alpha 8 SP5 Piston Regulator, Black
Oceanic VEO 1.0 Air/Nitrox Dive Computer SWIV Double Gauge Combo

$691.00.

Where do you live? Long term you're not going to like that regulator in cold water.

Also, the BCD is ok, but if the shop you're dealing with also carries Aqualung then I would ask them if they could swap out the BCD for an Aqualung Wave instead for about the same price. The Wave is very simple but very well designed and Aqualung's inflator mechanism is better.

Other than that, if it's new and under warranty then the price is really good.

R..

In SCUBA, time money, knowledge and persistence are more-or-less equivalent.

Options besides buying new are:

• Ask your friends and relatives if they know anybody who used to dive but doesn't anymore (parents, grandparents, etc.). Quite often you can get some or all of your stuff for cheap or free. The regulators will need service, but your new regs will need service now and then too, so that's not a big deal.
  • See if your local dive shop or club has a "used sale." Good shops that have rentals turn over their equipment every couple of years before it gets too old. It won't be free, but it should be pretty cheap.
  • Check ebay. Lots of gear shows up there.

Buying new is fine too, but it's entirely possible you can find a really good reg for a couple of hundred dollars or less (or a lot less) and then have your $700 left to go diving.

flots.

One point about buying second hand is that you will have to assume that anything you buy online will need maintenance before you use it. Calculate those costs into the price you pay for it.

But Flots has a good point. Diving gear has a long life and there is a lot of good gear (and an equal amount of worn out crap) on the 2nd hand market.

R..

One point about buying second hand is that you will have to assume that anything you buy online will need maintenance before you use it. Calculate those costs into the price you pay for it.

But Flots has a good point. Diving gear has a long life and there is a lot of good gear (and an equal amount of worn out crap) on the 2nd hand market.

R..

I should have mentioned that. All the equipment isn't good, and will definitely need service even if the seller swears it was done yesterday (I never trust them).

Make sure that whatever you buy has local service and good parts availability. There are a lot of ebay regs that can no longer be serviced.

However if you go with Option #1 (free from a friend or relative), you can afford to get a dud. :cool:

flots.

Upgrade the primary to a balance first and second stage. And you may want to go with a low profile octo like the slimeline 2 or sherwood minimus or aqualung abs.

The BC is a pretty entry level jacket. Many people train on one so they're familiar with it and the fit. A lot of people later graduate to some variant of a back-inflate model as there's less clutter with the wing/buoyancy solely on your back. Personally I find it easier to trim out also.

But if you want to stay with a jacket, for $30 more you can add the QLR weight system plus zippered (not velcro) pockets and a sternum strap to the Ocean Pro - Oceanic Ocean Pro QLR BCD 1000D, Black

Also the Alpha 9 SP5 is either just available or soon will be. IDK the differences in the features/price but it might be worth considering.

I'd agree with the previous poster, a balanced 1st stage will perform better (slightly easier to breathe) at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom