Beginners Honeymooning on the Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sr71pav

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new here as far as posting is concerned, but I've been reading for awhile. My (brand new) wife and I are finally getting our honeymoon in late January in Hawaii. We're going to split 6 days each on Kauai and Hawaii (Kona). I'm getting things narrowed down about who to dive with. So far, I'm thinking either Seasport or Aquatics Adventures on Kauai and Jack's Diving Locker on the Big Island.

These will be our first "real" dives after having been certified (just completed that this past week!). We want to enjoy ourselves and see some interesting stuff (doesn't seem to hard), but we don't want to bite off more than we would be ready for.

As near as I can tell we'll pretty much see turtles just about anywhere. And also, given the time of year, as near as I can tell, whales will also likely be around, if only for viewing from a distance.

Should we even be considering the Manta night dives around the Big Island or just stick with regular boat diving?

What else should we consider or be mindful of since these will be our first diving experiences?

-Pav

Congrats! I've used Seasport and Jack's, and both were excellent. A comment about the Manta night dives. There's not much diving, there is a chance you may not see anything, BUT, if you are both comfortable in the water, and if you do get some mantas, they are an incredible sight. I'd suggest getting in some dives earlier in the trip, seeing how you feel, and then deciding if want to do it. Not sure how busy they are at this time of year, but if not, hopefully you could do a last minute signup (if it feel right).

Should we even be considering the Manta night dives around the Big Island or just stick with regular boat diving?
Wife and I did the Manta dive with Jack's many years ago, and was maybe our 5th dive after getting certified. Certification was in SoCal cold water with all the weight and thick wetsuits, so diving in Kona seemed effortless. It is NOT an advanced dive. Your guide will clue you how to follow him, use a bit more weight to stay on the bottom, attach light sticks to know who to stay with, etc.

Night diving is different, but in many ways, the Manta dive is hardly a dive in the cold, dark murk. Lots of other boats, divers, and light.

Go for it, it is an easy dive, and if the critters come, will be a dive you will remember forever.

A little teaser from my Manta trip a number of years ago. :D

Attachments

• 5064236106_6bcf87478e_z.jpg
    5064236106_6bcf87478e_z.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 55
So far, since no one has said anything to dissuade me, it sounds like we'll be signing up for a Manta dive! That would be the last dive of the trip, so there should be plenty of time to have gotten ourselves adjusted beforehand.

Anything else we should be considering for diving?

That would be the last dive of the trip, so there should be plenty of time to have gotten ourselves adjusted beforehand.

I think you have it covered right here.

Having your own gear is a plus for comfort level if possible. Also expect your air consumption to drop during the trip as you become more relaxed in the water. 1 hour+ dives are the norm for many. Don't worry about cameras this early in your diving, too much distraction. Jack's will have videos available after the dives, ask to be in them beforehand if you want to get a copy.

I also strongly recommend 'Bubbles Below' on Kaui. Their boat is pretty standard. but their staff is extraordinary. We were there a couple of months ago and dove local dives, Niihau and Napali coast with them. We saw the animals and features we wanted to see,( of course there's never a guarantee of that) We were never rushed and were given the freedom to dive our computers. My shortest dive was 43 minutes but several were well over an hour. We only dove one location twice in a week of diving, (Same Mooring but dove a different area) The dive masters carry a slate, and are extra attentive as far as sea life identification goes, if you want to know. On surface intervals, the crew seems to be extra attentive to debriefing the dive, telling stories, and identifying the wildlife. A watchful eye is always on the porpoises and we were able to see them on every dive but one.

We also had new divers on the boat for several of our 'local' dives. The crew seemed to do a great job of catering to their special needs and still let the more experienced of us do our own thing/ profile.

Thanks everyone for the info. It's amazing how much better it makes one feel having just a little bit more information.

Wife and I did the Manta dive with Jack's many years ago, and was maybe our 5th dive after getting certified. Certification was in SoCal cold water with all the weight and thick wetsuits, so diving in Kona seemed effortless. It is NOT an advanced dive. Your guide will clue you how to follow him, use a bit more weight to stay on the bottom, attach light sticks to know who to stay with, etc.

Night diving is different, but in many ways, the Manta dive is hardly a dive in the cold, dark murk. Lots of other boats, divers, and light.

Go for it, it is an easy dive, and if the critters come, will be a dive you will remember forever.

Ditto! My experience, exactly.

So far, since no one has said anything to dissuade me, it sounds like we'll be signing up for a Manta dive! That would be the last dive of the trip, so there should be plenty of time to have gotten ourselves adjusted beforehand.

Shore diving at The Point Of Rufuge / Two-Step is definitely doable for beginners. You could either pay for someone to guide you. Or, if you feel experienced and comfortable enough, you could dive it yourselves. If you do decide to dive it yourselves. I'd suggest your snorkel above the reef for several minutes beforehand to get the lay-of-the-land (or sea).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom