Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've just seen prices for SS bands range from $25 to $75 for what appears to be the same thing, at least in the pictures. Didn't know if there were any hidden features this noobie was unaware of other than paying for marketing.
The DGX $25 one will work just fine. There are definitely a lot of brand tax in these things.

I have used a few variants mainly with quick release which let the cam strap “open” without having to unthread the buckles. Like these:

Highland: Highland Tank Straps w/Quick Release SS Cam Buckle (PAIR)

Scubapro: super cinch:

I ended up going back to the basic. It really depend on if you want these features.

I'm leaning towards getting the DGX BP/W package which comes with those.
I see they raised their prices, but for $350, definitely a good value.

Looks like that kit doesn't have an inflator hose so I'll need to order a 22" hose. Any other add-on suggestions to get me started? I assume I will need some of the screws that hold the wing to the plate and maybe a rubber webbing loop to hold my inflator from flopping around.

Looks like that kit doesn't have an inflator hose so I'll need to order a 22" hose. Any other add-on suggestions to get me started? I assume I will need some of the screws that hold the wing to the plate and maybe a rubber webbing loop to hold my inflator from flopping around.

I can fix you up with bungee and triglides for the inflator hose.

You do not need sex bolts to hold the wing to the plate! The sandwich effect of the plate and cam bands holds everything together. All bolts will do, depending on the wing and plate is hit the tank. If you feel you do need something as a locating helper to keep things from sliding around, use a couple zip ties.
Also you don't need a rubber loop to keep the inflator from flopping. You use a length of bungee cord 1/8 inch is fine, and make a loop that the LP inflator hose itself goes through. Not the corrugated hose!
This will keep the inflator down and still allow it to be raised when needed.
Watch the video they have on the site. It clearly states not to use the bolts without an STA.

The bungee for the inflator is in the kit. It shows it on the product page and you use the triglide for the left chest d-ring to run it through. No need for an extra one. I've built over 100 BPW's in the last 10 years or so. Don't overthink it. For many people what they actually need is much less than they think.

Also you don't need a rubber loop to keep the inflator from flopping. You use a length of bungee cord 1/8 inch is fine, and make a loop that the LP inflator hose itself goes through. Not the corrugated hose!
This will keep the inflator down and still allow it to be raised when needed.
Jim, I put the inflator and the corrugated hose through a bungee loop on my upper left shoulder D ring. Don't you think for some reason the inflator hose becomes disconnected and one needs to reconnect it, it would be difficult to locate the corrugated hose which is now flying behind you somewhere?

Also in the case of a stuck inflator one might want to disconnect the hose. Again who knows where that damn corrugated hose is.

It seems I can still raise the corrugated hose and inflator hose in my configuration.

Looks like that kit doesn't have an inflator hose so I'll need to order a 22" hose.
If you are talking about the corrugated hose that connects the wing to the inflation valve, the DGX BP/W kit comes with it. What it does not include is a LP hose to connect to the 1st stage. Assuming you already have regulator set with the correct length BC inflator hose (presumably 22") then you don't need another.
I am only making the distinction here because when I got mine from DGX the text about "does not include..." was confusing to me and I originally took it to mean the corrugated hose/elbow/inflation valve. Upon staring at the product images and rereading I finally realized my mistake.
As other have said, the cam bands hold the BP and wing together just fine without any bolts. Also DGX throws in a short length of bungee to secure the corrugated hose to the left shoulder strap in a few places.

Back
Top Bottom