Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On some of the basic harness kits out there, I see what looks like a black plastic buckle that attaches to the right hip area of the waist webbing. What would that be used for?
The plastic buckle is meant to hold belt attached accessories such as a light canister or pocket on the right side of the belt so they don't slide off when the SS waist buckle is opened.

The plastic buckle is meant to hold belt attached accessories such as a light canister or pocket on the right side of the belt so they don't slide off when the SS waist buckle is opened.
Oh that makes sense. So if a person used small weight pouches for ditchable weight on the waist, it would go behind it too I assume.

Oh that makes sense. So if a person used small weight pouches for ditchable weight on the waist, it would go behind it too I assume.
Yeah it certainly could but a tri-glide might be a better option. FWIW, I didn't use the plastic buckle that came with mine, but I remembered that's what it was supposedly used for.

Yeah it certainly could but a tri-glide might be a better option. FWIW, I didn't use the plastic buckle that came with mine, but I remembered that's what it was supposedly used for.
I will probably do that as I don't anticipate the need yet as well. Thanks. Is there anything different about that bucket than your main buckle other than being plastic? In other words if I do something stupid and my main SS buckle make a home at the bottom of the ocean, would it serve as a backup main buckle in a save-a-dive kit?

Yeah just pulled mine out of the locker. It looks to be the same design as the SS but in plastic. Could be a decent backup if needed. Here's hoping neither of us ever need it.

General question on trim in the water... The last time I went on a dive trip, I was chronically feet heavy wearing a typical rental BCD. I was not over weighted either. In fact, sometimes at a safety stop, I would just barely have use my hands or fins to give enough pull down to stay at depth. But no matter where I put my trim weight, I was still feet heavy. This was wearing my 7mm cold water wetsuit boots and fins that were slightly buoyant too. I prefer to wear a short wetsuit so that did shift some buoyancy up. Do you folks think getting a basic BP/W with a SS plate would make a significant change to my situation?

General question on trim in the water... The last time I went on a dive trip, I was chronically feet heavy wearing a typical rental BCD. I was not over weighted either. In fact, sometimes at a safety stop, I would just barely have use my hands or fins to give enough pull down to stay at depth. But no matter where I put my trim weight, I was still feet heavy. This was wearing my 7mm cold water wetsuit boots and fins that were slightly buoyant too. I prefer to wear a short wetsuit so that did shift some buoyancy up. Do you folks think getting a basic BP/W with a SS plate would make a significant change to my situation?
Probably not feet heavy as much as front floaty.

The
On some of the basic harness kits out there, I see what looks like a black plastic buckle that attaches to the right hip area of the waist webbing. What would that be used for?
buckle at the right waist strap is to hold light battery canister.

If I find the need for a chest strap because of my chest and shoulder size, I found this at the Piranha site. Looks like the shoulder webbing threads through it and is made out of elasticated nylon so it will adjust with diver movement.

If the basic harness is fitted correctly, chest strap is not necessary at all. If you think you need it, maybe look for someone to help you with adjustments first.

A lot has to do with prosture as well. Band knees to bring fins in, extended arms as foreward as possible will help.

Back
Top Bottom