Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. I really disliked the 1" strap that came with my DSS harness and have no problems with the 2" on my current Piranha harness.

I'm not a fan of weight belts. I use cheap XS Scuba trim pockets on my waist belt for lead. I use steel backplates and dive warm water so only need 2 or 3 pounds per pocket and am comfortable with just a velcro flap. I can pull the weights out manually if I need to dump them. I'll stick weight on the cam band(s) on the rare occasions I've needed more weight because I've added a vest or other exposure gear.
As to the crotch strap, use what you like, I like a one inch for my warm water rigs.

I do not use a weight belt for my warm water and travel BP/wings. I used to use the XS QR pouches and still do but have become somewhat disenchanted with them because they seem to fall apart after a long season. So, recently, I converted my VDH wing and plate to these as a trial run to see if they hold up better:

But they cost a bit more, could buy a couple of sets of the XS QR pouches for one set of the Dive Rites which are made in America and that matters to me.

XS QR pouches:

In warm water in a 3mm suit I typically use 2 pounds in each waist pocket and two pounds in each of two cam band pockets (non QR). For my heavy suit for cooler water I still can use a weight belt, typically splitting the weight between my belt, cam band pouches and the stainless Freedom Plate helps as well. I have tried larger weight pockets on my waist straps but being only 30 inches around my middle parts I run out of room and the pockets come together before the buckle pulls up snug. Still working on that. I can eat all of the left over Halloween candy or maybe try some different pouches. Not sure the best direction to go on that.

James

Aluminum's low density means a 2lb plate contributes roughly 1 lb of negative buoyancy. FWIW, a stainless steel plate of the same size would weigh around 6 pounds and contribute 5 pounds of negative buoyancy.

BCDs vary a lot in terms of inherent buoyancy. You could try sinking yours to see how much weight it takes. But honestly, if you can't do a proper weight check beforehand, I'd just take off 2 or 3 pounds to start with and see where you are at the safety stop on your first dive.

Aluminum's low density means a 2lb plate contributes roughly 1 lb of negative buoyancy. FWIW, a stainless steel plate of the same size would weigh around 6 pounds and contribute 5 pounds of negative buoyancy.

BCDs vary a lot in terms of inherent buoyancy. You could try sinking yours to see how much weight it takes. But honestly, if you can't do a proper weight check beforehand, I'd just take off 2 or 3 pounds to start with and see where you are at the safety stop on your first dive.
I haven't ordered my BP/W yet. I was assuming I would go with the aluminum plate but I may change my mind and get the steel plate instead. I can always shift some stuff around between my check in bag and carry on.

Based on what you're saying... If I use 9lbs with a typical rental BCD and a shorty, and my shorty is probably +4-5lbs, I would be about neutral in just a rash guard with the SS BP/W. And probably need around 4lbs in my shorty with SS BP/W.

That should be pretty close. I was able to drop 6 pounds when I switched from an XL Zeagle Ranger to a SS BP/W.

I can definitely live with carrying zero weight in a rash guard and 2x2lbs in little pockets in a shorty. And depending on whether I'm feet light or heavy, put the pockets on my cam band or waist belt webbing. 👍

I use a pair of these on my waist belt: XS Scuba Single Weight Pocket

They hold up to a 5lb hard weight.
I'm looking at these. Their 4x4 inches, hold 4lbs each, and have both a Velcro and snap clip closure.

If I find the need for a chest strap because of my chest and shoulder size, I found this at the Piranha site. Looks like the shoulder webbing threads through it and is made out of elasticated nylon so it will adjust with diver movement.

On some of the basic harness kits out there, I see what looks like a black plastic buckle that attaches to the right hip area of the waist webbing. What would that be used for?

If I find the need for a chest strap because of my chest and shoulder size, I found this at the Piranha site. Looks like the shoulder webbing threads through it and is made out of elasticated nylon so it will adjust with diver movement.

Get it and let the rest of us know how it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom