Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I realize that a QR buckle on a crotch strap is a potential thing to fail. But would a QR on the crotch strap make it easier to ditch the weight belt? It seems like it would.

I think horizontally you'd find it easier to release your harness buckle and belt to remove your weight belt, freeing your crotch strap along the way, so there wouldn't be a lot of benefit to the QR on the crotch strap. If you're vertical in the water and your weight belt rides low enough on your hips and won't snag on the rig then maybe you could release the weight belt and crotch QR and not unbuckle the harness. But then you're having to remember two procedures to do the same thing; wouldn't it be easier to just get good at one?

I go for the whole KISS philosophy so I wouldn't feel the need for one personally. On the other hand, aside from possibly being uncomfortable where it's positioned, or making it easy to lose the loop end, I don't see a big deal having a QR on the crotch strap as its not a critical item you'd need to abort your dive for if it failed.

I’ve always dove my bp/w with the soft weight belt I purchased for my OW course because if it ain’t broke... Still, that’s a lot of material and bulk for ~6 lbs wet. Renting hard weight belts on vacation, I’ve found that they also feel more secure to me and I was leaning toward replacing my old belt with hard weights. As I was reading here and watching a few YouTube videos, it seems like even on bp/w setups, the separate weight belt is commonly replaced with pocket weights on the harness, tank bands, or both. Is this the way to go for recreational bp? To paraphrase another member here, in 2021, is the weight belt dead?

To paraphrase another member here, in 2021, is the weight belt dead?

Do you need extra weight to begin with? If yes, how much and where? If enough to make a difference, would you rather have it quick-ditchable or thread-the-belt-from-under-the-harness-ditchable?

I’ve always dove my bp/w with the soft weight belt I purchased for my OW course because if it ain’t broke... Still, that’s a lot of material and bulk for ~6 lbs wet. Renting hard weight belts on vacation, I’ve found that they also feel more secure to me and I was leaning toward replacing my old belt with hard weights. As I was reading here and watching a few YouTube videos, it seems like even on bp/w setups, the separate weight belt is commonly replaced with pocket weights on the harness, tank bands, or both. Is this the way to go for recreational bp? To paraphrase another member here, in 2021, is the weight belt dead?

Many folks put trim pockets or fancy ditch pockets onto their harnesses. I have trim pockets on a tank strap, but actually prefer a weight belt for the rest. A soft weight belt is a fair bit of bulk and room for something that only has one use -- but a "hard weight" belt doesn't take much room and can be used to strap a couple of suitcases together, improvise a shoulder strap, etc., and a couple of extra trim pockets and triglides don't take much room either -- combine those if you get somewhere and need a "soft weight" belt. That's my travel kit, FWIW.

[Edited to add.]
Do you need extra weight to begin with? If yes, how much and where? If enough to make a difference, would you rather have it quick-ditchable or thread-the-belt-from-under-the-harness-ditchable?

Those are the right questions. Think through your answers and the logic behind them; practice the resulting gear combinations; if applicable, brief your buddy. For me, for most of my diving: I need 4-6 pounds near my waist, I want it on a separate belt under my harness.

I need about 6-8 lbs, which I’ve always carried in the weight belt. For trim, I could stand it being a little closer to my head, but it’s not bad as-is. I’ve never had to ditch, but learned the belt drop and have practiced both belt and rig removal and replacement underwater.

A soft weight belt is a fair bit of bulk and room for something that only has one use -- but a "hard weight" belt doesn't take much room and can be used to strap a couple of suitcases together, improvise a shoulder strap, etc., and a couple of extra trim pockets and triglides don't take much room either -- combine those if you get somewhere and need a "soft weight" belt. That's my travel kit, FWIW.

This is cleverer than I was able to be. A couple pouches to try on harness/on belt/on rig are pretty cheap and gives me the chance to figure out what I like best. All smaller and less bulky, to boot!

I need about 6-8 lbs, which I’ve always carried in the weight belt. For trim, I could stand it being a little closer to my head, but it’s not bad as-is. I’ve never had to ditch, but learned the belt drop and have practiced both belt and rig removal and replacement underwater.

I put 4-6 lbs in a pair of DGX trim pouches on the top camband. I wouldn't be too concerned with non-ditchable 8 lbs trim weight on top of 4-5 lbs steel plate, YMMV.

If I dived locally I'd need a bit more to sink the 7 mm wetsuit. I'd probably shell out for a couple of quick-ditch pockets and put them on the waist strap.

I put 4-6 lbs in a pair of DGX trim pouches on the top camband. I wouldn't be too concerned with non-ditchable 8 lbs trim weight on top of 4-5 lbs steel plate, YMMV.

If I dived locally I'd need a bit more to sink the 7 mm wetsuit. I'd probably shell out for a couple of quick-ditch pockets and put them on the waist strap.

I travel with an aluminium plate, so 2x 2pounds on the top camband, and 2x 3 pounds on a belt.

I used 2 weight pockets on shoulder straps with Al plate, that works too, but they do get in the way. The plus side is you can position them for perfect trim, just need something to keep them from sliding around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom