Info Beginners Guide To BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used 2 weight pockets on shoulder straps with Al plate, that works too, but they do get in the way. The plus side is you can position them for perfect trim, just need something to keep them from sliding around.

Trim Pocket Anti-slide Keeper

I still need to look into STA vs. no STA though. I get it from a physical stand point that it makes the tank sit off a little bit from the back, but I also haven't looked into what it does functional wise and if it's just for time saving when setting up rigs.
So perhaps a noobie question regarding the STA. I get that if the wing and/or plate does not have camband slots, you must use an STA, but is it otherwise required, or beneficial? I like the idea of greater stability with the STA, but having the tanks further from my back would make me think that things could become less stable.

Do I have that right? Assuming compatability of the wing/BP, are the use of STAs really personal preference?

So perhaps a noobie question regarding the STA. I get that if the wing and/or plate does not have camband slots, you must use an STA, but is it otherwise required, or beneficial? I like the idea of greater stability with the STA, but having the tanks further from my back would make me think that things could become less stable.

Do I have that right? Assuming compatability of the wing/BP, are the use of STAs really personal preference?
You've got it. Assuming the plate and wing slots line up and allow cambands, here's the advantages of STA versus non-STA:

Advantages of STA
- allows quick swapping of wings between different plates without rethreading or adjusting cambands
- you can attach or mold extra weights to the STA channel
- it keeps everything in alignment even when the rig is not attached to a tank
- can be more stable if there's no roll control feature built into the wings

Advantages of STA-less
- cheaper
- lighter
- more compact
- fewer parts to keep track of and bolts to keep tight
- tank is closer to body, so rig is less tippy

This thread is wonderful - so much information! I moved to a lovely minimalist BP&W around 7 years ago, and it's the best thing I ever did in diving. I still remember taking it into the water for the first time - it felt like diving naked 😊 No clutter, no unnecessary weight, and oh so comfortable... It's now a setup I recommend to many of my students, because of its versatility and the way it helps to improve buoyancy control and positioning in the water.

Some of you know I'm looking at basic harness BP/W solutions. I have a question about webbing "hardness". I see webbing options of soft, standard and stiff hardness. As a total noob, soft sounds like it would be more comfortable, contour around your body better and maybe dig in less? But since there is stiffer webbing, I assume it has it's own benefits. Can anyone give a simple pros and cons of webbing hardness? Thanks in advance!

Some of you know I'm looking at basic harness BP/W solutions. I have a question about webbing "hardness". I see webbing options of soft, standard and stiff hardness. As a total noob, soft sounds like it would be more comfortable, contour around your body better and maybe dig in less? But since there is stiffer webbing, I assume it has it's own benefits. Can anyone give a simple pros and cons of webbing hardness? Thanks in advance!
Stiff has its uses, I mostly use the standard because it’s just easier to work with for me. Webbing is cheap, try them all.

Stiffer maintains its shape which makes it easier to get into and out of and keeps the waist belt from twisting. Softer is easier to pack. Generally you want at least medium (standard) stiffness for the main harness, but softer for the crotch strap.

Is there such a thing as a lower profile STA that provides the basic tank stability but lets say cuts the tank offset from the plate in half?

Is there such a thing as a lower profile STA that provides the basic tank stability but lets say cuts the tank offset from the plate in half?

Many people do not use an STA. They use plastic (or metal) sex screws to hold the wing to the plate and the cam bands through the slots to secure the tank.

You want standard webbing. The stiffness of the webbing helps it to hold an open shape (in the shoulder straps) making entry and egress easier. Most kits come with soft webbing for the crotch strap. For tropical use I would get a one inch crotch strap with the plastic break away clip to assist entry (here I tell you to get a plastic clip, in the other thread I told you not to, but here we are talking the crotch strap, nobody is perfect :wink: ).

Get a set of these for your shoulder webbing:

I do use an STA when I am using a bent (doubles) plate for a single tank, thus the single tank adapter, STA. The STA will add somewhat to the height of the assembly but is more stable. The STA usually sandwiches the plate and the wing with stainless screws and butterfly nuts. The butterfly nuts recess into the bent channel. Or these:

and these:

And this is cute, similar to the Oxy UL:

I like this tutorial, the Oxy UL plate works similar, lol, as an alternative to metal plates for warm water diving:

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom