Beginner questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your lucky, you live in a country with some of the best diving in the world, both scenic and wreck diving.

One of the greatest wreck diving sites is in Orkney, where the German First World War Feet where scuttled at Scapa Flow. Scotland has some wonderful scenic diving.
Similarly, if you go south, Plymouth has once of the most famous (shallow) wrecks in the UK, the JEL (James Egan Lane), liberty ship, loved by both experienced and novice divers alike, with world class scenic diving.

As Edward suggested, take a look at local BSAC diving clubs in your area. Especially if you want to 'keep your hand in' or gain experience and more diving qualifications.

From my experience, just getting back in the sport after a long time not diving. The only advice I would give you is this. Rent a back inflate BCD and try it before you buy a BCD. I dive for years back in the early 90s and all I had access to was jackets. When I started diving again a couple years ago I swore I had to have another jacket BC. Until I tried a back inflate and fell in love with them. My wife just did her certs and trained in a jacket and didnt want to move to a back inflate. 2 dives after she got her certs I rented her a back inflate and she also fell in love. Do as you will and have fun it is amazing.

BCD:

• I know everyone suggested to go for rear inflate BCD but I had my training with a jacket style one and I felt comfortable with it; it’s not an expensive bcd and once I get more comfortable and I try a rear inflate one I can always upgrade
    • I have decided to go for the Aqua lung PRO HD: Pro HD BCD

SPG:

There is some perception out there than utilizing a back inflate or bp/w has some steep learning curve vs a jacket. It's simply not true. If you prefer a jacket, great, go for it, but if your reason for staying away from a back inflate is that it's going to a challenge to use, it won't be. There's one main difference; a back inflate tends to float your horizontally in the water (the way you want to be) where as a jacket will float you upright at the surface is over filled. Do you plan on spending your time diving or floating?

Also, if you're going with a computer, why not just use a pressure gauge instead of a triple gauge console?

You do get decent 2nd hand kit, but generally it’s warn out that’s why it’s for sale

I'd have to disagree with you here... at least in the US there is a ton a lightly used gear for sale. There are a lot of people out there who think they'll love diving. Their LDS sells them a full kit, they use it it for a few trips, or even a few dives... life changes, and the unload the gear for 50% off retail...

I love buying used gear, most of my kit is used... my regs, BCD, AI computer and transmitter, tanks, weights, fins, DSMB... all used (and most of it 'premium' gear).

The items I purchased new are... mask, wet suit boots, SS reel, some hoses, and a few bolt snaps...

The LDS near here does clearances on old stock and display models. They also sell rental equipment. Of course, you should know what you're buying and the quality when buying used.

Have a look at Alec Peirce's "Scuba Tech Tips" on YouTube. Look up topics like, what to get first, regulators, computers, fins, etc.

@Centrals @Edward3c - thank you both, very helpful posts.

I'm still to visit my LDS (strange oppening times + hectic working hours for me) but in the meantime I have looked online and sort of decided on some essential pieces of equipment. I will go to my LDS and see what they suggest/try some kit and see if they can give me a good deal. I still have to look into protection suits and the multitude of accessories.

So, these are the things I am thinking about. Please feel free to comment and suggest anything else.

BCD:
Regulators:
SPG:
Mask:
Snorkel:
Fins:
Computer:
BCD: the lift required for UK diving is much greater than for diving the tropics. U.K. look at least 20Kg (20Lt volume), for holiday diving you’ll get away with 15Kg (15Lt).

All the other kit is down to personal preference, don’t get hung up on getting the ‘right’ kit.

Computer: it’s easy to buy one with features you’re never going to use, keep it simple.

If your going to do UK diving, seriously consider a cylinder or two; plus a drysuit.

If you join a club, they will have 'club kit' to rent, and the opportunity to try different types of kit from different manufacturers.
One advantage, is you can purchase a drysuit, and use club kit and progressively buy kit. This keeps the initial outlay down. It is also likely that you can borrow kit from other members, or buy secondhand kit from club members, which also means you can try before you buy.

The biggest advantage of being in a club is that they will organise and take you diving. Our Club has a minimum of one weekend a month away from April to October for 2019. The trips are basically run at cost, and we charter the complete boat. That doesn't include inland dives and training dives, which are organised once a month 12 months of the year. Plus the informal dives, generally most weekend someone is diving. As an example, there was a training trip last Saturday (15 December), this Sunday ( 23 December), and then the Annual New Years Eve dive.

Gareth

Thanks guys, really valuable advice from all of you. I have already emailed some clubs close to where I live as I definitely want to join one. They seem to have great diving and social activities but nobody replied to me yet. It’s holidays so maybe people are busy...
I’m planning to dive in UK too but probably for the moment I’ll stick with “summer” dives in quarries or places with good visibility. I’m just at the beginning and I need more experience before I take the next steps.

Not sure about used gear - I generally like to have a new phone, car, tv, etc. You have warranty and a peace of mind (although I have new stuff which was faulty out of the box). I don’t think I am experienced enough to get a life sustaining equipment as I might not recognise obvious faults and I don’t want to risk it. Maybe in the future.

In theory a rear inflated BCD sounds better comparing to a jacket one. I’ll take your advice and try one before I make a decision.

Regarding computers, it depends on my buget. If i manage to get a good deal and also %0APR instalments I’ll go for one with a transmitter instead of carrying a 3 gauge console. If not, I’ll stick with the basics and slowly upgrade. Btw, generally does scuba gear have a good resell price and holiding the value?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom