beginner photographer in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saloooh91

Registered
Reaction score
So I bought my first DSLR in 2013 and hardly touched it since now 2016.

Right now I'm learning about aperture, shutter speed and iso.
I have a Canon 600D with it's standard lens 18-55mm.

I like Astrophotography, underwater , black & white, landscape & nature.

My two questions are:-

Is land photography 180 degrees different than underwater ?
Should I first start in land gain experience then start underwater or can I start underwater right away ?

Basic control of shooting parameters is very similar above and below water, but there are some important differences to my mind:

1. Task loading. You need to maintain control of buoyancy and situational awareness (where is your buddy?) underwater. Extra challenge!

2. Lighting. I'm a 100% available light shooter on land, but strobes are crucial for good color and contrast in deeper water, particularly macro. I shoot shallow wide angle in natural light quite often though. Strobe shooting adds some complexity

3. Shooting in a housing: control the of the camera is different / indirect. You want to be completely familiar with your camera befor diving it, so you don't spend more than a few seconds switching settings.

I generally shoot aperture priority topside, but full manual underwater. I consider myself a decent photographer on land, and a rank amateur who is only sort of starting to figure it out underwater. In part because I'm a new diver, and I noticed an improvement in both my diving and photography over the past year, likely because 40 of my 75-ish dives were in the past 12 months. And I'm still at the point where my point and shoot (Sony RX100) is very far from being the limiting factor for my photography. Underwater photo is a lot harder, but very rewarding.

Mattie had some excellent points.

1. Task loading. Photography underwater is challenging and absorbing. If you are not very comfortable diving, the diversion offered by photography can get you into trouble.

2. As said above, it is often all about strobes. Another thing is anything over 5' is long range.

3. Buoyancy, buoyancy, buoyancy. Being able to be in just the right spot, motionless is critical.

4. Learn to recognize that the shot is not there. Often I will find a cool subject, but the situation is such that getting a good shot is not possible. Learn to look and move on.

5. Fish don't like to get chased. I watch the fish. Often I can figure out where they are going. I go there first, go motionless, and let the fish come to me.

6. Full manual is good. Otherwise you might get a bunch of shots with slow shutter speeds or strange f stops. I adjust exposure with the strobes and ISO.

due to task loading underwater, i suggest that you spend a LOT of time on dry land learning how to use your camera.

if you are also concerned about money, then i also suggest you purchase an inexpensive compact (olympus tough should do) as a learner camera underwater. once you have figured out what it will and will not do, then you can make the decision on how much money you can afford for a dslr setup.

i have seen too many people spend $5000 plus and then learn
- that they do not like under water photo
- that it is too big and heavy to carry around
- they bought the wrong gear

We have S95's, with wet lenses and Strobes.
The 'camera' is cheap in comparison to the strobes, lenses, arms etc. We have yet to be defeated by the ability of the camera, its rather the inability of the operator :).
One other distinct advantage is that we have a couple of 'spare cameras' (and two spare housings as it happens), because at some point we are going to flood, and the camera cost is not so significant as to make us cry to much. Although we are now in the position that the S95's are hard to find, so one of us would have to 'upgrade' to the next S--- variant + housing. At least the lenses and strobes would all be compatible.

Gareth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom