Beginner diving in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I've completed the SSI Open Water certification (i.e. the first level) a few months ago. Looking for budget options to dive in the Maldives in the next couple of months since its economically accessible from South India. Constraints are

- wish to stay in a local island (not Male preferably, but this is not a deal breaker. Definitely not a resort. Ideally the island should be reachable by ferry)

- good variety of diving given the certification level we have. Looking for good reefs, fish life and sharks/mantas.

What island, dive shop and dive locations would you suggest?

Rohit

Sorry, I don't have an answer to the specific question you asked, but have a tangential answer. If you're looking for reasonably priced diving accessible from South India, you should really check out Sri Lanka. It's the beginning of west-coast diving season there; a lot if interesting diving to be done, and much, much cheaper than even "budget" options in the Maldives.

Oh thanks. I have snorkeled in the Maldives before and was blown away by the visibility and quality of marine life. Would Sri Lanka compare? Reason for skepticism is the Indian coast is largely poor for diving and want to be sure Sri Lanka is not alike.

I havent been to Maldives yet, but I believe for the trip moneys worth you only get a worthwhile diving experience on a liveaboard and being a new diver you will not be able to take advantage of the full cost of a liveaboard on the advanced dive sites.

Thailand is the cheapest flight money you can spend and plenty of options for a beginner. I also want to take this opportunity to remind you, as a beginner from India - Scuba is not a hobby that will give returns to the "once in a lifetime" thrill seeker inspired by TV shows.. It takes patience and a budget for repeat International trips twice or more a year to slowly build up experience and have those special dives that are worth a million for the experience..

Good Luck and welcome to the hobby!
With Cheers
P

Hi, I've completed the SSI Open Water certification (i.e. the first level) a few months ago. Looking for budget options to dive in the Maldives in the next couple of months since its economically accessible from South India. Constraints are

- wish to stay in a local island (not Male preferably, but this is not a deal breaker. Definitely not a resort. Ideally the island should be reachable by ferry)

- good variety of diving given the certification level we have. Looking for good reefs, fish life and sharks/mantas.

What island, dive shop and dive locations would you suggest?

Rohit

I believe that you can find what you seek in Maldives. However, it may be difficult to find the info out here on Scubaboard. I hope someone will come along to advise you about Maldives. There are indeed islands that have homestays and have diving but I only know about this because of reading about it.

I also know specifically of another island however, it can't be reached by ferry.

I will try to find what I read but no promises.

Hi, I haven't visited Maldives yet but from some research there are several local islands accessible from Male by boat transfer. Slower boats obviously being cheaper.
However, even with reasonably priced accommodation (watch out for tax add-ons for the hotels & food), you may find the cost of diving in the Maldives a major constraint if you're on a budget. When I last checked, even on local islands most places seem to charge around $50 (US) per dive, and that doesn't even include equipment!! You'll save some cash for multiple dive deals but it's still VERY expensive compared to other destinations, eg Thailand.
Also, have you considered the Andaman Islands? I've heard good things about diving there. You'd have to check if it's suitable for beginners though (I believe it would be).
PS as I understand it, as a beginner I'm not sure you'd be able to make the most of diving in the Maldives, there are some pretty challenging sites. Someone may be able to correct me on that though.
Cheers,
Rob

Hi, I haven't visited Maldives yet but from some research there are several local islands accessible from Male by boat transfer. Slower boats obviously being cheaper.
However, even with reasonably priced accommodation (watch out for tax add-ons for the hotels & food), you may find the cost of diving in the Maldives a major constraint if you're on a budget. When I last checked, even on local islands most places seem to charge around $50 (US) per dive, and that doesn't include equipment!! You'll save some cash for multiple dive deals but it's still VERY experience compared to other destinations, eg Thailand.
Also, have you considered the Andaman Islands? I've heard good things about diving there. You'd have to check if it's suitable for beginners though (I believe it would be).
PS as I understand it, as a beginner I'm not sure you'd be able to make the most of diving in the Maldives, there are some pretty challenging sites. Someone may be able to correct me on that though.
Cheers,
Rob

That was one of my concerns, that current can make some of what should be the simplest of dives, challenging. I hadn't yet checked price for diving.

That said, your suggestion of Andamans seems brilliant to me.

Let's check this out for OP!

Maldives are not the most beginner friendly location nor it is budget. Best way and also most economical way of diving is Liveaboard, which should be avoided as a beginner. I can recommend Bandos, Embudu, Eriyadoo, Ellaidhoo. They have decent housereef for snorkeling and shore diving which will also reduce your costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom