Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or ships that happen to have sunk somewhere other than fresh water...

Or ships that happen to have sunk somewhere other than fresh water...

19th century wooden schooners are often pretty intact in the Great Lakes if they didn’t go to pieces while sinking. Do you get those wrecks in salt water? Doubt it.

Can't speak for anyone but me here. There are a few reasons for diving fresh water. Obviously, price comes into play for me. But I am, luckily, a history buff. I like local history. Plus, I spent a lot of years "freediving" the local lake before I got certified.

I am sure the coral reefs are worth the trip, and I may dive one someday. But I really love local waters (and the GL's one day).

DW

LOL, how about big creatures and challenging conditions? And ecosystems that are out of this world?

They are too pretty, can't have that. Get rid of them and we can talk then 🙂

They are too pretty, can't have that. Get rid of them and we can talk then 🙂
some of the BFS's we have in Palm Beach aren't that pretty; to me anyway. Saw a 400 lb bull the other day, he kinda followed me for 10 minutes but kept a very respectful distance. Little different than a cold, dark lake!

We don't have enough residents nor visitors in south Florida, the economy may well crash without one more Chicago-en with deep (tech shorts) pockets!

Honestly, though I was thinking about this today in fact- Even though jewfish are sometimes a PIA when I am trying to spearfish, getting to see a docile, 350 lb grouper face to face IS a pretty cool experience. And seeing one (or more) is about 100% certain if you hit some local wrecks (at any time of the year).

19th century wooden schooners are often pretty intact in the Great Lakes if they didn’t go to pieces while sinking. Do you get those wrecks in salt water? Doubt it.
She's 138 years old.
Arabia.jpg

Arabia? She’s awesome. This is the Sandusky in the Straits of Mackinac. She sank in 1856. Oldest known wreck in the Straits. She’s actually a barque, not a schooner (difference in rigging). 166 years old.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom