Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexican customs used to like to hassle divers as they were looking for camera housings to tax, but the Federal government put a kibosh on that, saying that they were covered under related accessories.
Now you just have to pay extra at some dive sites if you bring a camera (like Taj Maha)

The mexican customs people are good. Bribing people in MX is very much a thing of the past. I have never had any major issues in MX because they see dive gear multiple times a day. My rebreather looks much more like a bomb than anything else I own and they passed it right through. They also no longer have the button of chance where you pass through customs then have to press a button to get either a red or green light to determine if you get inspected. Now they have a dog that sniffs for foreign plants.
I would rather deal with the people of Mexico than most moronic americans any day.
I’m not talking MX customs. I’m talking about their equivalent of the TSA.

The mexican customs people are good. Bribing people in MX is very much a thing of the past. I have never had any major issues in MX because they see dive gear multiple times a day. My rebreather looks much more like a bomb than anything else I own and they passed it right through. They also no longer have the button of chance where you pass through customs then have to press a button to get either a red or green light to determine if you get inspected. Now they have a dog that sniffs for foreign plants.
I would rather deal with the people of Mexico than most moronic americans any day.
Glad to see they got rid of the red light green light game it was actually pretty funning to watch.

That's what I meant. In my mind they're one in the same (customs vs mx tsa). But I was specifically meaning their tsa people. Never an issue other than the one time I took a tool in my carryon that had a knife longer than legal. They were cool about it and I was too since it was my fault.

Glad to see they got rid of the red light green light game it was actually pretty funning to watch.
The best was one some of the tsa people would make you and your travel partner hit the button. It was always awesome to get green but your travel partner gets red

TSA pre-check and global entry is the only way to travel. Also checking the American elitist attitude usually helps getting through security and customs. Good luck playing red light green light in MX.
I’ve had multiple bad experiences with MX customs brokers, freight forwarders, and MX customs on the job. Everyone single one of them has been utterly incompetent. That’s where my attitude comes from.

I rarely travel internationally. This is my first time flying internationally since 1998 and that was to Canada. I’ve driven to Canada several times to dive, but I was back and forth to Canada as a kid tons since I’m half Canadian and have relatives in Ontario. I’m only doing this to get full cave done and then I don’t plan on going back. Flying is a freaking hassle and utterly miserable experience. The last time I flew was 2015 and that was only to Charlotte for a weekend to visit a friend. There’s a reason I love my road trips.

You are going to be more annoyed at the TSA you go through after US customs when you realize how much ruder and slower they are compared to the Mexican security people.

You are going to be more annoyed at the TSA you go through after US customs when you realize how much ruder and slower they are compared to the Mexican security people.
TSA is pretty much pond scum. Petty dictators. I have no expectations the interaction will be pleasant - with either the US or MX TSA.

And don’t get me started on CBP. Grouchy, snarly bastards. I swear the attitude is issued along with their uniform and gun. They start screaming at you as soon as they pick up the phone. I deal with them daily. I’ve got a copy of my brokers license on me, just in case.

Now you just have to pay extra at some dive sites if you bring a camera (like Taj Maha)

The funny part is that they only consider the camera size, and not the size of the lights. So if you show up with $5k in lights but with a GoPro no fee. But if you have a larger camera there is a fee.

TSA is pretty much pond scum. Petty dictators. I have no expectations the interaction will be pleasant - with either the US or MX TSA.

As long as you go in with a pleasent attitude my experience is that security screeners outside the US are pleasant to deal with. Unlike the TSA who are almost always rude, they are the embodiment of "We're not happy, until you're not happy."

As long as you go in with a pleasent attitude my experience is that security screeners outside the US are pleasant to deal with. Unlike the TSA who are almost always rude, they are the embodiment of "We're not happy, until you're not happy."
I just keep my mouth shut and give as little info as possible. That’s the SOP with CBP on the job and goes for any government employees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom