Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had a massive improvement with my sciatica (well, really false sciatica/piriformis syndrome)! One of my occasional buddies is a retired physical therapist. He has worked with me several times on top of a picnic table with regards to frog kick leg movements/mechanics. He suggested I look for a massage therapist that could do myofascial release or trigger point therapy. Found a MT that does trigger point through a coworker (his wife is a MT and the MT I now go to is her coworker). Had to wait a couple of weeks for my appt. Went Friday night.

OMG. No pain.

I cannot tell you the difference this makes. I dove all three days this holiday weekend, including a lot of time in the car driving between dive sites. It used to hurt like hell when I frog kicked. It's Tuesday and I'm still pain free. I'm a little sore from diving, but nothing like the sharp, searing, burning pain I've had constantly for years.

Holy f**k.

Will try to go every two weeks. I have an appt for next week.

I rejoined the gym last week so I could go back to my old habit of snorkeling a mile with a kick board several times a week. I refuse to go back to the bike since you have to wear a mask while working out (current IL mask mandate). Went a couple of times last week and up to .6 mile in one session (1000 yards). I'll be back to my mile this week.

Had problems with piriformis myself. Found several stretching units on youtube that worked well.
Training for the muscles at the lower back helped to stay painfree.
And yes, I love the physio sessions :wink:

Had problems with piriformis myself. Found several stretching units on youtube that worked well.
Training for the muscles at the lower back helped to stay painfree.
And yes, I love the physio sessions :wink:

Stretches didn’t do much for me. Neither did foam rollers. This massage, on the other hand… .D

Not nearly the same, but my hamstrings tend to get tight very easily especially after a day of diving. Massage works great, but when I'm away for longer I always take my theragun with me now to hit those trigger points. It was more than worth it to ease the tightness, not sure if it would have the same impact for sciatica but I imagine it could help work for trigger point therapy on the go.

Stretches didn’t do much for me. Neither did foam rollers. This massage, on the other hand… .D

Foam Rollers are too big. They wont com near the piriformis.
I use the smallest and hardest massage balls from here
I guess you can use any small ball.

I use a lacrosse ball. But really, nothing I’ve done has helped like the massage. The amount of immediate relief was immense.

I've had a massive improvement with my sciatica (well, really false sciatica/piriformis syndrome)! One of my occasional buddies is a retired physical therapist. He has worked with me several times on top of a picnic table with regards to frog kick leg movements/mechanics. He suggested I look for a massage therapist that could do myofascial release or trigger point therapy. Found a MT that does trigger point through a coworker (his wife is a MT and the MT I now go to is her coworker). Had to wait a couple of weeks for my appt. Went Friday night.

OMG. No pain.

I cannot tell you the difference this makes. I dove all three days this holiday weekend, including a lot of time in the car driving between dive sites. It used to hurt like hell when I frog kicked. It's Tuesday and I'm still pain free. I'm a little sore from diving, but nothing like the sharp, searing, burning pain I've had constantly for years.

Holy f**k.

Will try to go every two weeks. I have an appt for next week.

I rejoined the gym last week so I could go back to my old habit of snorkeling a mile with a kick board several times a week. I refuse to go back to the bike since you have to wear a mask while working out (current IL mask mandate). Went a couple of times last week and up to .6 mile in one session (1000 yards). I'll be back to my mile this week.
Was his treatment to do assisted stretches ? Out of curiosity …

You mean the MT I went to? Nope. Trigger point therapy. A bit of cupping. Some scraping.

Very seriously looking at going CCR next year. What’s changed my mind has been being around a lot of folks who dive them. I’m looking at the Kiss Orca Spirit. My instructor does Kiss or the Optima, which I’m not interested in. Too heavy. The OS is lighter for my knees. Not interested in a SM CCR at all. Not good for boat diving. I’ll SM bailout/offboard dil. I had a nice one hour conversation with another SBer out in the PNW (Dave something) who dives the Orca Spirit, as well taking a good chat with someone in my region who dives the same unit.

They only rarely come up used so I’ll have to buy new. Saving up for that. So that’s why it’s a while out. The prospect of moist gas to breathe is a big attraction. I get a very dry mouth on OC regardless of how well I’m hydrated. Plus using less helium.

Very seriously looking at going CCR next year. What’s changed my mind has been being around a lot of folks who dive them. I’m looking at the Kiss Orca Spirit. My instructor does Kiss or the Optima, which I’m not interested in. Too heavy. The OS is lighter for my knees. Not interested in a SM CCR at all. Not good for boat diving. I’ll SM bailout/offboard dil. I had a nice one hour conversation with another SBer out in the PNW (Dave something) who dives the Orca Spirit, as well taking a good chat with someone in my region who dives the same unit.

They only rarely come up used so I’ll have to buy new. Saving up for that. So that’s why it’s a while out. The prospect of moist gas to breathe is a big attraction. I get a very dry mouth on OC regardless of how well I’m hydrated. Plus using less helium.
any reason you are not looking at the classic?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom