Becoming a Repair Tech--Who Pays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest you pay for it yourself. That way the shop doesn't think they have an indentured servant and pay you peanuts. If they do then you are free to take your talents elsewhere.Knowledge is power.

That's the move.

Wow. Thanks for the responses. I learned a little about different dive shops, ScubaPro and even Law.

I hadn't really thought about the idea of paying for it myself in order to avoid the pretense of them "owning" me. Interesting angle. Of course I wish this were a Zeagle clinic because I have a 2 Zeagle regs and a Zeagle BC....but having the ScubaPro stamp of approval would come in handy I'm sure.

To answer one question that was raised: I was hired to do sales and eventually move into an OW instructor, not as a tech. I think just because I had mentioned that I would like to learn to be a tech is why they are pushing me to take the course. And...all the gear the dive shop stocks is Aqualung and Scubapro so they of course want to advertise that they have a tech on hand who can provide service. Right now it's kind of embarassing to the owner/manager to have to send all our gear elsewhere for repairs.

The other thing that's making me hesitate now, is when I asked how I would be paid for tech service (by the piece or by the hour), I got the look down and "we'll work that out later", comment. That does not make me happy at all. I won't sit in the back and repair regs for meager hourly wage while my buddy sells $3k dollars worth of way overpriced gear!

If I pay for the clinic myself I can perform the duties when, how and where I want with no real negotiating power on the part of the owner.

Not so fast...the Scubapro stamp of approval is something SP requires the SP dealer's techs to have. More importantly, if you are not associated with an SP shop, you no longer have SP tech priviliges in that you have no access to parts.

Sp also requires new techs and any techs who did not recertify at least every two years to attend a two day course, so it is not cheap in terms of tuition or travel expense - it is also pretty insulting for more expereinced techs who may not have had an opportunity to attend a seminar within the last 2 years.

Most techs work part time and are not paid all that well in terms of being able to absorb the cost of tuition and travel. If they did so, a large percentage of their pay would in effect have to be lpowed back into repair clinic expenses.

In short, tech certification is a shop responsibility and the expense should be paid by the shop as one of the costs of doing business and maintaining a full service shop.

Now it is reasonable to have an agreement where in return for the clinic expenses you work for the shop for a year or pay back a pro rated percentage of the cost.

Not so fast...the Scubapro stamp of approval is something SP requires the SP dealer's techs to have. More importantly, if you are not associated with an SP shop, you no longer have SP tech priviliges in that you have no access to parts. .

That is why the shop should pay. If they insist you pay insist upon a commission for each repaired stage, not regulator, stage.

Sp also requires new techs and any techs who did not recertify at least every two years to attend a two day course, so it is not cheap in terms of tuition or travel expense - it is also pretty insulting for more expereinced techs who may not have had an opportunity to attend a seminar within the last 2 years

Especially when it is all done at their convience.

Do you have any references to that law?

I've been required to take some training classes that cost $8,000 and $12,000 each class, not including travel costs and payroll/benefit cost for that time period.

Holy Cow!!! Not any course I've heard of offered by a manufacturer.
What classes are these??? The shop I worked for paid for any classes that had a fee and the one time I had to drive from Houston to Austin they kicked in an extra $100 for gas on top of paying for my room.
The shop should pay...as for Mares, if you leave that shop you "lose" your certification. It is "assigned " to you but for that LDS. Of course, you don't lose your experience and training but they won't recognize the cert. Haven't asked but if you go to another Mares shop maybe they will "transfer" it.

You should negotiate. What is the charge for reg repairs at the shop-flat fee, per hr., per item, etc.??? Just like an auto mechanic. They get paid by the hr. or half hr. regardless if it takes them 15 min to repair and that is how the customer is charged. My shop pays well so I can't complain. $25/hr for equipment work.
I have done it since 1991 though...approaching 17 yrs. and multiple clinics under my belt.

Holy Cow!!! Not any course I've heard of offered by a manufacturer.
What classes are these???

Holy Cow is right....

When I reference employer, I should have stated that these weren't scuba related. (it was for electronics equiment we use at work, not dive/scuba related).

I was just referencing them in general as that's an expensive class to have to pay back in the event I left employment at a company.

Maybe we should define what a repair tech is?

90% of the people who take these courses never repair anything past their own equipment after the first year. If I have a Divemaster that is interested in learning how to repair his equipment then I offer him the opportunity to take the clinic. I do not pay for it.

If I have a Repair Technician trainee that I feel that my investment is worthwhile then I will gladly pay for all the repair clinics. Heck I have sponsored some clinics myself.

A lot of people think that Repair techs just sit around and repair equipment, we don't. We also have to deal with paperwork, reordering parts, inventory of parts, rush repairs, inadequate supply of parts, uncooperative Manufacturers Repair Departments, customers that don't listen, equipment that is outdated and the cost of the tools.

Most dive stores don't have secretaries, clerks, or assitants to do all this work. This falls on the technician to do all of that. If the paperwork is not done, the Repair Department falls apart.

You also have to continue your education for the new equipment every other year. As fast as the companies come up with a new reg, you will have to learn how to fix it.

If you are going to stick it out for a 2 -3 years of working for me, I would gladly pay for any repair clinic you sign up for, BUT you have to show me how mechanically inclined you are, how good your understanding of how SCUBA equipment works, and how good you are dealing with customers.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom