becoming a moderator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Depends. Imagine cutting a december dive short due to both team members having a flooded drysuit [in 38 degree water] and cutting your dive short.

Now follow that with "hmm... plenty of helium left..." :thinking:

and fade out with the back deck duet....

<suck>
"Oh come all ye faithful..."
<suck>
"Siiiilent night.... hoooooly night..."

... and to complete the picture, another guy in a drysuit standing in the background shouting "ALVIN, ALLLVIIIINNNNNN" .... :dazzler1:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

baltimoron:
..... not telling me that I said "Illiteration" instead of "Alliteration". !

I thought it was one of the cleverest puns I had seen in ages..

Yuh, I thought it was just a clever pun, too! :11ztongue

Snowbear:
Shouldn't that be wearing undies as overies? :11:
Overies...ovaries.......NOOOOOO, does not meet the PG13 test. therefore they must be outies. :)

baltimoron:
Niégame el pan, el aire
la luz, la primavera,
pero tu risa nunca
porque me moriría

so you may deny me my bread, my air
my light, my spring
but leave me your laughter
for I could die without it.

that's my personal translation... its the butt of a poem by the chilean poet Pablo Neruda, one of my favourites.... its called "Tu Risa" if you want to google the whole thing.

How about:

Deny me bread, air, light,
even Springtime,
but your laughter...never!
For that would kill me.

(Translating poetry and conveying the exact sense of it is the toughest job of all.) (Nice poem!)

BigJetDriver69:
How about:

Deny me bread, air, light,
even Springtime,
but your laughter...never!
For that would kill me.

(Translating poetry and conveying the exact sense of it is the toughest job of all.) (Nice poem!)
I think translating it ruins it. I say learn Spanish and read it the way it was written. :)

pennypue:
I think translating it ruins it. I say learn Spanish and read it the way it was written. :)

Si, como no, pero es necessario estudiar mucho para hablar con precision!

Besides, I thought I caught the sense of it very nicely!!! :luxhello:

Pienso que lo fluye mejor y que lo suena mejor en español.... Español es una lengua muy bela para el oído.

For all ye Anglephones:
"I think it flows better and sounds better in Spanish... Spanish is a very beautiful language for the ear."

I learnt Spanish living a year in Barcelona (hardly ever used it, I used the local Catalan MUCH more...) and then when I got to America, I figured I would just slide into an Advanced Class, but I was outraged that they wouldn't make the students learn the "vosotros" form of all the verbs, and the teacher got mad at me for using vosotros in the classroom, so I dropped the class.

sorry for the deviation,

no where were we? ah! more mispellings!! Over-ies, and Ovaries... Reminds me of an old Hebrew joke about americans:

Once upon a time, an American was on a bus in TLV. He was on the bus reading his newspaper, and much to his excitement, his friend Schlomo steps on. The American gets VERY excited, and says to the man "Oh, hey there! I didn't recognize you with your mikhnasaiim on!" Everybody on the bus bursted into hysterical laughter, and the American had to step off the bus to preserve his dignity. What was his big slip up, you might ask? The word magtefaiim "glasses" is often confused by Americans and replaced with mikhnasaiim "pants".

baltimoron:
but I was outraged that they wouldn't make the students learn the "vosotros" form of all the verbs, and the teacher got mad at me for using vosotros in the classroom, so I dropped the class.

Vos... It just sounds so cute when people use that..

Back
Top Bottom