becoming a moderator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
OK, I have seen a number of well known members be promoted to the ranks of Mod and turn green, so I think we need an explanation on how someone becomes a Mod, what the responsibilities of being a Mod are, the advantages and disadvantages etc etc.

The reason I ask is that I am a firm believer that mods should be like politicians; that anyone that wants to become one should automatically be excluded from becoming one..BTJMO

Yeah, And How Come There Have Been So Many New Ones Added In The Last Week?

And if you're wondering how I posted with every word started in capital letters, it's because I left the caps lock on. oops

Snowbear:
That is actually the case.....

Click here to access the answer to this frequently asked question.
Grrrrrrrreat , thanks snowbear, now if only we could get it to work on that politicians..

The best way to avoid Moddom, is to insist on being one! :D

Mods are made in several ways... I will outline two of them.

A supervisor may sponsor a user. There is no discussion (unless asked for) and the user turns green after saying "yes".

A mod may suggest a user. We then have a free for all discussing this person's history on the board, who they voted for in the last election and whether or not they will make the rest of us look bad. Location is a key factor... we are looking to diversify. Helpfulness is a key factor... we want you to be naturally helpful to others. Leadership is a key factor... what have you done for your club lately? Having fun is a key factor... No grumpalumpagusses among the mods, except for maybe Mo2vation. :D How do they react under pressure?

Some are naturals, some are not. If we decide to extend the invitation, usually (but not always) the nominator gets the duty. If they say "yes", we send them a very useful and inciteful document (I wrote it myself :wink: ) called "So you want to be a moderator". If they say "yes" a second time, a supervisor flips the switch and the bubbly is passed all around. Sooner or later youre gonna learn to never say "yes".

As for their duties? Hey these guys are all volunteers. The last thing I am gonna do is to tell what their duties are! They are self motivated and highly inteligent individuals (except for that H2Andy guy) and don't need me to get in their way with a bunch of directives.

Their Perks? Shhhhhhhhhhhh... don't even start to give them ideas! We have ways to show our appreciation that transcend monetary remunerations. Which really means we're too poor to do a whole lot right now. :eyebrow:

The Payoff? There is no other community quite like ours. Our mods are exceptional at ironing out the rough spots for everyone. They not only make the magic of this board happen but they keep it on the cutting edge. Our mods ROCK! Tech Admin and I couldn't do this by ourselves. We applaud the awesome ScubaBoard mods for their selfless devotion to our community.

Does that help?

If they say "yes", we send them a very useful and inciteful document (I wrote it myself ) called "So you want to be a moderator".

I think the term is "insightful" Doc ... although it could be construed as "inciteful" as well ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cancun mark:
I have seen a number of well known members be promoted to the ranks of Mod and turn green
Sorry it made you turn green with envy. I believe they are trying to diversify the locations of mods around the globe, so would one in Cancun be beyond the realms of possibility?

As for you Mark - lets see, from that thread on considerations of becoming a mod:
1. time online - yeh you are on here a bunch, particularly the singles thread - rascal!
2. helpfulness to others - particularly the ladies :wink: But otherwise yes
3. the ability to make people think - i think this fits you too
4. natural leadership - instructor, course director - put you in the maybe column
5. the ability to avoid controversy - now what was that i heard about DIR and Mark?
6. locale - here you might have an edge
7. how they would fit in with the moderator team - again i havent seen any controversy thus far
8. quirky sense of humor - again i think you fit that bill too :wink:

Of course the donts were:
1. dont ask to be one - here you might fall short :wink:
2. dont flame - i think you have only trolled a bit, flaming doesnt seem your style.
3. dont brown nose - could we ever accuse you of this?

Of course you asked about it which is a big no-no, so opps, there goes your chance :wink:

NetDoc:
The best way to avoid Moddom, is to insist on being one! :D

?

Funny you say that. I've had this type of philosophy in training supervisors and managers over the last 15 years. When I thiink of who I will promote, I ask them if they think they could be a manager and look in their eyes. If they say "yes", and have a sharp gleam in their eye, no way. They want it for all the wrong reasons. Usually the power. The ones that get it are the ones who look worried and aren't sure. Why? Because they realize they are moving to a whole next level of responsibility and aren't sure how, or if, they're ready. Those are the trainable ones. Hank

Actually, I think inciteful is more accurate... :D

cancun mark:
OK, I have seen a number of well known members be promoted to the ranks of Mod and turn green, so I think we need an explanation on how someone becomes a Mod.

That's easy to answer: They drew the short snorkle.

Next question, please.

---
Ken
Resident grumpalumpglumpglskdfhsf;r rgt;ertsaltek (or whatever the hell NetDoc called me.... :) )

Back
Top Bottom