Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Dan,

You go and live your dream. I did exactly what you are wanting and more. All is obtainable and very easy if you go to the right places, meet the right people and take advice from those who have succeeded and have done what you want to do not from those who failed.

I would be more than happy to assist you by giving you advice on how to do this. You do not need languages or many years of experience to travel and work as a DM but better as an Instructor and live the lifestyle I have and so many others still do. There are many ways to make this works. I did it. I succeeded.

You can send me a private message or email and I will let you know all. Sorry but I cannot do that here.

Also, I will not try and sell you training. I just want to advise of how I did it.

Mike

Mike, thank you for not pitching the typical "you can not make any money as DM or instructor". Many dive pros get into biz because they love to dive but are not good business people. Most dive pros do not know how to sell themselves. Yes you can teach OW for $100 each but then the instructor does not want to do class of 2 or rushes through class because it is about $4 per hour.

On the other hand I know an instructor that charges $900 for OW class but he will teach he ever you want, you get your 4 ow dives but then 1 on 1 dives with instructor to 60ft (if they are ready) he gives a high quality concierge service. It is a full time job for him and he has a beautiful house in FL. It can be done. It is hard to be a PT instructor and demand higher pay.

Double your prices... Lose half your customers = higher profits.

I want to become the best quality diver i can, but i also want to make it a way of earning money and providing the lifestyle i want as quickly as possible. So please anyone who has experience or advice get in contact :)

When you're doing the DM course, where ever you end up doing it, I strongly recommend you choose a dive shop that offers unlimited diving to their DMTs. Also, take about 3 months to do the course. And while you are doing the course try to do everything in the dive shop and on the dive boat you are able to. Learn the logistics. Dive, dive, dive and then dive some more. If the shop allows it start leading dives and learning the local dive sites as soon as possible.

You aren't going to get rich being a DM or, really, even an instructor. But you can have a fun life around the world.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:
Since you asked, here is my tip for you to take the first step to become an attractive and credible DM:

Don't get your certification at Koh Tao.

I did my DM in Koh Tao and all my learning objectives were fully met; indeed exceeded. I partnered with Simple Life and worked with 3 different senior instructors. One was their Technical instructor who helped me with non-DM related skills (e.g. finning, buoyancy and trim, air consumption, ascending and descending in poor visibility, gas management, and equipment configuration).

The Simple Life team gave personal attention each day so that my learning was on track and my skills advanced each day. At surface intervals, we often talked about dive-related theory and practice.

I appreciate Simple Life's approach to teaching and learning. I have a PhD in competency development and assessment. I have almost 20 years of practice in training and education, where I have planned, designed and delivered small to large scale training programs so I am especially tuned into all things related to training.

Therefore, my recommendation is to understand your learning objectives and then to partner with a dive centre to meet those objectives. It is not so much where you do your DM training that will be of interest to a potential employer, rather it is your diving record (e.g. number of dives, number of dives with clients, courses taken, types of dives completed, personality, charisma, languages spoken, customer service orientation, etc.) that is important.

Best wishes

GJS

Back
Top Bottom