Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Doby45 while it is true on occasion I do help people by giving them the education they request there are many other times I only give advise and sell nothing.

Hey Doby45 while it is true on occasion I do help people by giving them the education they request there are many other times I only give advise and sell nothing.

That may very well be the case. I have no issue what so ever with prospering and selling an awesome DiveMaster path but you will fall more in line with the spirit of this board if you actually become a sponsor. Then you could probably even get you a fancy banner promoting your services. But, when 20+ of your 26 posts on this board are pitching your training it kinda flies in the face of what you are telling me. Not that you owe me anything, live long and prosper!

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:, that is a good joke, our your lifestyle is very low, one of both.

Sorry to bust your bubble Daniel.

The only thing that DM and Instructors get quickly is Pus.., maybe if you do your job right, that one get to give you the lifestyle you dream about.

I'm not looking to make a life changing amount of money. I want to find a beautiful place to live, be able to spend my days doing what I love and be able to afford to keep doing it for a long time. I don't have savings or anyone to help me so it has to be paid at least enough to pay for accom and eat some food everyday, so yeah maybe my lifestyle is love.

All i am asking is advice from seasoned divers about how to make a viable reality out of my passion. So thanks for your input but i was hoping for something more constructive.

Hey Dan,

You go and live your dream. I did exactly what you are wanting and more. All is obtainable and very easy if you go to the right places, meet the right people and take advice from those who have succeeded and have done what you want to do not from those who failed.
That's exactly what i was hoping to hear from someone mike thank you so much. I will be in touch over email now. Thank you for understanding what I am hoping to achieve

Two additional points for your consideration.

In my experience, almost all the DMs in SE Asia are local and they do not get paid a lot. I share in a beach house in Anilao, Philippines with some friends. We have a regular dive master that takes me, my family, and guests out diving. I pay the DM 850 pesos per dive, which is about $17. Not only does the DM guide the dive, he and the boat crew rent the tanks from a nearby resort (which we pay for separately - 200 pesos or $4 per tank), they take all our stuff onto the boats, put together the rig, etc. After the dive, they take everything off, clean the equipment, etc..etc.. Its a lot of work for $17. Even if I do five dives in a day, that's still less than $100. My DM also owns the boat and we pay separately for it so he takes a bit more home.

There are so many DMs in Anilao, they don't all get out everyday. I think the situation is similar all over SE Asia

One thing I am seeing a lot more of are large Chinese groups that come to dive. A couple of weekends ago, the resort down the beach had 50 divers from China staying for 8 days.

Given that you are in Taiwan and I assume speak Mandarin, a niche you might want to get into is getting with these Chinese dive tour companies and establish yourself as THE BEST CHINESE GUIDE EVER!

Good luck

I'm not looking to make a life changing amount of money. I want to find a beautiful place to live, be able to spend my days doing what I love and be able to afford to keep doing it for a long time. I don't have savings or anyone to help me so it has to be paid at least enough to pay for accom and eat some food everyday, so yeah maybe my lifestyle is love.

All i am asking is advice from seasoned divers about how to make a viable reality out of my passion. So thanks for your input but i was hoping for something more constructive.

Sorry Daniel, you are right is was not constructive, but pay attention on how you see your self in 20 or 30 years from now, do you want to have a family or live the gigolo DM / INST life ( nothing wrong with that, but you may get bored after some years ), if you find you a supportive wife that likes what you do, then fine, Asian women are hard workers and very complacent wife's, but then come the kids, that is a complete game changer, they cost money and they get sick, etc, etc, cost of living in Asia is low, but still take about it.

I understand what you mean now with lifestyle, you want and relaxed and easy live with no luxuries, nothing wrong with that way of living.

One thing I spend time is in reading and observing expressions and behaviors of people and that tells a lot of them, I see that old INST and DM, most of the times have lost the joy of what they do, taking people to a dive spot over and over again, hearing the same crap day in day out from the tourists and divers that think and act like they know more than anybody, it pays a toll on them.

Each individual is different and have a different perspective, now you are seeing all kind of sea creatures and having fun, exploring, great conversations, etc, etc, but it is not always like that, it is relaxed I give you that, it is a choice of living a humble, simple and relaxed life vs a hectic and complicated life.

Think about it, ones you have make de decision, what ever that path is, give it your 100%, and make sure you find a person that share that vision.

Last edited:
Thanks but being a scuba board sponser or supporter is not in my cards. I am way to busy for that. I only responded to this post because I saw a need as some people were telling the wrighter it was not a good idea and to stay away from Koh Tao. That set me off a bit as I have worked in Koh Tao and will defend that place as a great place to work as an instructor and a great place to be a student. If someone does not think so then we will dissagree.

Thanks but being a scuba board sponser or supporter is not in my cards. I am way to busy for that. I only responded to this post because I saw a need as some people were telling the wrighter it was not a good idea and to stay away from Koh Tao. That set me off a bit as I have worked in Koh Tao and will defend that place as a great place to work as an instructor and a great place to be a student. If someone does not think so then we will dissagree.

I am glad that you've had a wonderful time at and think highly of Koh Tao.

OP asked for advice to make him more attractive to perspective dive shop operators.

Like it or not, there is a bit of that sentiment around the region.

We can agree to disagree. I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom