Beaver Lake Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, where is the manequin?

I've had several dives in the cove and haven't found it yet...partly because I forget to look for it.

LakeDiver, I'm using a Canon Powershot A80 w/ Canon UW housing and a 256 or 1 gig card. As you can tell from the pics, I have yet to change the white hue settings on my camera (I will do this before the next dive).

Here's a few pics including one of the manequin (edited a bit since it might be a little risque for the boards :wink:) She is creepy!

BeaverLake1.JPG

BeaverLake2.JPG

It would be nice to have a location on the manequin so I can use it when I teach stress/rescue.

It's about 20 or 30 feet away I'd guess, there's a guideline that goes to it. I can't tell you which one it is right now, but I can say it's not the ones leading to the planes and stuff.

By the way, Rob and I think the plane might be a Piper Tomahawk, it's not a Cub is what I know for certain. You'd think a couple pilots could identify for 100% a plane, but we didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb. I did look for the DEA placard and didn't see it. The cockpit is large enough for a Tramahawk, and the wing config is right as well. For those that aren't pilots, Tramahawk is a joke among pilots. It's how we refer to the Tomahawk due to it's ride qualities. Could also refer to the scare factor when you realize it's spin characteristics for the first time.

We saw all the objects at the cove, kind of nice and it looks like those chainsaws were used to cut down some of the trees...

Just kidding, but Tim did say they mod'd a couple chainsaws to work under water.

Anybody got a pic of the tail number of the plane... I tried to remember it, but with the combination of the sinus squeeze, the coughing fit at 65' and the 45 degree water pouring onto my right arm I seem to have forgotten it...

Nope, I was trying to get the DEA data plate info and couldn't find it. I glanced at the thing to see if I could get the tail number but didn't see it on my side. I'd be curious to know what really happened to it and why it was scrapped.

Here's the tail number of the shallower of the two. This is the one I thought was the Cub. I should have one of the other plane sometime in May. It will require some cleaning of the tail portion of the fuselage.

I'll take my 100ft tape with me and get measurements of both planes as well as the broken wing next to the deeper of the two.

Attachments

• dives 019.jpg
    dives 019.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 63
Here's an accident report for our dive attraction in Beaver Lake. PA-38-112 is a Piper Traumahawk.. (Tomahawk)

NTSB Identification: CHI90LA014 .
The docket is stored on NTSB microfiche number 39263.
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, October 21, 1989 in LINCOLN, IL
Probable Cause Approval Date: 6/28/1991
Aircraft: PIPER PA-38-112, registration: N9487T
Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
THE PLT LANDED AT AN ARPT THAT WAS CLOSED FOR CONSTRUCTION WHEN HIS ACFT WAS LOW ON FUEL. HE REFUELED, BUT ONLY HAD ABOUT 1200 FT OF AVAILABLE RWY FOR TAKEOFF. THE SOD RWY WAS WET & THE GRASS WAS RPRTD TO BE 'LONG.' THE PLT RPRTD THAT AFTER TAKEOFF, THE ACFT WOULD NOT CLIMB. HE SAID THAT HE TURNED RIGHT & LANDED TO AVOID OBSTRUCTIONS, (TREES & HOUSES), BUT THE ACFT HIT 2 HOUSES BEFORE STOPPING.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

IMPROPER PLANNING/DECISION BY THE PILOT, WHICH RESULTED IN HIS FAILURE TO ATTAIN SUFFICIENT AIRSPEED. FACTORS RELATED TO THE ACCIDENT WERE: THE RUNWAY CONDITION & OBSTRUCTIONS.

We had something like that happen here at KMBY. The pilot landed on a closed runway and managed to wipe out his airplane.

He had tons of money and apparently was able to buy forgiveness from the FAA because his "accident" disappeared from the database.

In this case, we've got a nice plane to dive due to a similar mistake and an apparent midnight donation. Sometimes people need to engage the brain before the engine, of course we might not get the objects to dive on.

Ok, it's official. There is NO tail number currently on the deeper of the 2 planes. On C&J's website there are pre-launch pics of the planes and helicopter. The 2nd plane is unfinished/stripped aluminum skin. Sorry. Maybe the shop has the tail number info for us.

The following pic is from their website.

Attachments

• diving_1185.jpg
    diving_1185.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 61
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom